• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Starlink and the ethernet adapter

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
...requires you go into the phone app and "bypass" the Starlink modem...
I'm not aware of a requirement to disable anything but the first time around I did disable the Wi-Fi router. After I reset the Starlink router I did NOT disable anything and I'm solely getting Starlink via Pepwave's WAN port. It appears to me to work much better this time around without turning off Wi-Fi. I did check my phone and the Starlink Wi-Fi is broadcasting so I could connect to it if I wanted to. I prefer not throwing more Wi-Fi noise around but leaving it as is as it's working wonderfully.

I like having the option to direct connect to the Starlink router over Wi-Fi is I need to triage something. So far since reset no need, love it!

I'm not aware of a requirement to disable anything but the first time around I did disable the Wi-Fi router.
Perhaps not necessary if you're plugging a computer into the Ethernet adapter, but if you're plugging another router into the adapter, (in our case, a Ubiquity router) there is a good chance the Starlink router and the other router will fight. We went through this here at the park.

But regardless of whether you decide to run them together or not, the point I was trying to make is, you will have to go through the initial setup again to enable the bypassed modem. You can bypass the Starlink router via the app, but you can not reinitialize it without performing the initial setup again.

Last edited:
My square dish plugs into a poe Injector, and then into my pepwave. I don't use the wifi modem device at all.

20220829_191813.jpg

If your router uses DHCP for connected devices, as Pepwave does (unless configured otherwise) the Starlink router will get assigned an IP address and connect just fine. I assume your Ubiquity router also has DHCP setup and should work the same. The IP addresses Starlink uses is a bit odd. even more odd is the gateway. I certainly would like to control the network Starlink uses and the IP address for the connection but I found out it's just best to let it do it via DHCP off of the Pepwave.

This is my WAN config (Starlink port):

pw2.jpg

Jim....As long as the routers are assigned different IP address ranges there should be no issues with them running side by side. It is possible that you could get channel interference issues from the WiFi side on both units, but Ubiquity allows you to either let the router self manage channel usage, or you can manually manage the channels used for both 2.4 and 5ghz to avoid any interference issues. I don't believe at this time there is a way of a way to change channel settings on the Starlink router, mostly due to Starlinks desire to keep it simple for the folks that aren't technology savvy in those areas. A quick scan with a smart phone app of the channels in use by Starlink will tell you which channels to stay away from for peak results.

Jim....As long as the routers are assigned different IP address ranges there should be no issues with them running side by side. It is possible that you could get channel interference issues from the WiFi side on both units, but Ubiquity allows you to either let the router self manage channel usage, or you can manually manage the channels used for both 2.4 and 5ghz to avoid any interference issues. I don't believe at this time there is a way of a way to change channel settings on the Starlink router, mostly due to Starlinks desire to keep it simple for the folks that aren't technology savvy in those areas. A quick scan with a smart phone app of the channels in use by Starlink will tell you which channels to stay away from for peak results.
In my setup Pepwave scans every morning (once per day) and figures out channels. When I tried out Ubiquity not long ago at home it had nice control over all of that as well. Fortunately Wi-Fi is not that strong so campgrounds shouldn't be too bad but closely parked rallies may be a concern. I've been to some rallies where they raised this concern. Apartments can't be great for this but this is why Wi-Fi expansion continues (6, 6E, etc.).

Interesting @redbaron as I figured the dishy needed their router for account control, dish alignment, etc. Anything that does not work by removing the white router from the setup? Any feature loss? stow, unstow, etc.? From what I've read the router is a power hog. Not sure how a PoE injector compares, I have one, I may try it, but that could solve power concerns for boondockers.

If your router uses DHCP for connected devices, as Pepwave does (unless configured otherwise) the Starlink router will get assigned an IP address and connect just fine. I assume your Ubiquity router also has DHCP setup and should work the same. The IP addresses Starlink uses is a bit odd. even more odd is the gateway. I certainly would like to control the network Starlink uses and the IP address for the connection but I found out it's just best to let it do it via DHCP off of the Pepwave.

This is my WAN config (Starlink port):

View attachment 15132
I was not aware the Starlink IP address could be changed? Until today, everything I've read says the Starlink IP can not be changed.

Like @Jim said, I think there's more to this, you must have put an ethernet connector on the end of one of the cables? Details please.

I was not aware the Starlink IP address could be changed?
I don't think it can which is why I leave it on DHCP. The Pepwave handshakes with the Starlink router as you can see in my screenshot.

Latest resources

Back