FYI Starlink reduced hardware prices for some

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Question for Starlink guru’s

Do you have to use Starlink router on the standard dish? Or can you just go straight to Pepwave? If you were just now purchasing which would you buy, standard or mini?
Only considering the mobile dish not permanent roof top installed
Bill, purchase the Starlink Standard which is now on sale. You do not need PoE, while I know you probably don't know what that is, you simply plug in the router that it comes with to a 120V outlet and connect that to the dishy antenna. Your pepwave can connect its WAN port to the ethernet port on the Starlink router and it will work great. I and others here will gladly help you get all that setup. I highly recommend you get it now while on sale.

The most cost effective way to do it is buy the gen 3 or the mini and place on ground table etc. it has to be positioned correctly which is easy. Those come with a Starlink router included but not needed if you have a router already. The gen3 can be put on the roof as third parties are making mounts. The considerably more expensive option is the in motion high performance dish if you need internet going down the road and you want the wires routed from roof to closet. No router included but you can use just about any third party router. @ARD has a great description what she does here.
Post in thread 'Starlink'
Starlink

Neil is correct, if you want to run off 110volts, you don't need a POE adapter...the dish comes with one.
If you want the option of running off of 12 volt, then you will need an aftermarket POE adapter for efficiency.
There are lots of ways one can do this. Since this is front of my mind for my vehicles, I shared what my plan is :)

Since you were asking how to NOT use the included router / POE adapter...you need to power the dish somehow.

The mini has a built in router, it is not a separate router which means you need to run power to the dish directly, this is not ideal for a RVer I don't think but I'm not well versed on this one but it's also NOT on sale. Only Gen 3 aka Standard is right now. I use flagpolebuddy.com pole mount system, so if I were to put the mini on the pole I'd need a way to get power to it. I don't know if PoE would work, that's outside the scope of your question @NWIP but I'm curious on using a mini myself for both airplane camping and RVing. But again, not on sale, I'm not buying a Mini.

I like cable connecting the Starlink to the Pepwave but you can also Wi-Fi connect your pepwave to Starlink just like you would do with Campground Wi-Fi etc. It's not just the most ideal setup but it works for most.

I have seen @ARD setup and was wondering about eliminating the mesh router, 1 less item. I checked and sale on standard dish end Oct 5th

The simple answer for your use is that you will need to use the router which is what the dish connects to. You can turn off the Wi-Fi on the starlink router but it is what communicates with the dish.

Here is what I will be using with the on sale Gen 3 dish

And then tieing into my existing PFSense router network.
The Starlink router gets put in a box for another project.

For my situation, I want to run only on 12 volts so no generator, no invertor and no land line is needed for Internet / network.

My ideal setup (for most users, non-techie) is:

Dish connects to Starlink router via its cable.

120V power from Starlink router to outlet

Pepwave WAN port connects via ethernet cable to Starlink's router

Up to you if you want to turn off Starlink's Wi-Fi, it's not needed if you use your Pepwave.

The only items that are exposed to outdoors is the cable going from Starlink's router to your dish. You can run that out of your basement with no problem and just gently push closed your basement door.

Here is what I will be using with the on sale Gen 3 dish

And then tieing into my existing PFSense router network.
The Starlink router gets put in a box for another project.
Thanks @DavidL - I would ideally like to do the same. Will research that for my setup, I'm thinking of getting the Gen3 Standard while on sale too as I broke (but flexsealed) my Gen2 which works fine, but this is a good opportunity to jump on the newer setup.

@DavidL I'm going to start a new thread on this PoE topic so I can learn more....

Latest resources

Back