• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Starlink

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My High-Performance Starlink has performed fantastically now going into 2 years of having it. It has only gone down one time and that was for about 30 minutes because of a fast moving intense thunderstorm with torrential rain and hail. I invested in the High-Performance system because it has a wider view of the satellites than the other systems and it is permanently mounted so it's one less thing to deal with when getting set up at my stops. Plus, when on the road in remote areas during my travels and there is no cell service, I always have WiFi calling. I do have an AT&T SIM with a data plan in my Cradlepoint R1900 router as a fallback in the event Starlink were to go down for an extended period of time. I have always had exceptional, consistent, download and upload speeds regardless of my coach orientation.

My personal requirements to always have an Internet connection, and WiFi calling accessibility is perhaps different than others, so investing in the High-Performance Starlink system was the right choice for my requirements. I have friends that have the High-Performance system on their boats in different parts of the world, as well as friends who have the other generation Starlink antennas and live in remote areas in the Rockies without any cell service, and Starlink performs fantastically.

Starlink is a game changer for those that need and want reliable fast Internet... (y)

I chatted with 5g store this morning which by the way has great support. They suggested upgrading to the 8.5.0 firmware if you have starlink. I was not able to update firmware as it’s not available through the admin panel. @Neal what version are you on currently?

Stacey: Can you advise if the firmware on the BR1 Pro has been upgraded to the latest 8.5.0?
Sheridan: I am on 8.4.1
Sheridan: Build 5474
Stacey: I would recommend upgrading the the latest firmware as it includes an option to ignore obstructions.
Sheridan: Okay will do that.
Stacey: Attachment: Pasted_Image-_Aug_27_2024_-_11-11-33am.png http://2my.io/ga3K1
Stacey: Once on the latest firmware, you should have an option on the Dashboard for Starlink.
Stacey: When you open the configuration window, there is an option to ignore obstructions.

They also suggested the following health check settings.

Stacey: The following settings are recommended for the health check:
Timeout: 5
Health check interval: 10
Health check retries: 5
Recovery retries: 5

Pepwave 8.5.0 is still in beta

Interesting how it will interact with Starlink, curious to see when the time comes but I imagine you could use the Starlink app to control anything and everything about Starlink and not be doing anything via Pepwave.

Health checks will vary widely based on the user and how they want to handle failovers, etc. Mine are designed to give it more time and not nag me.

Is there a reason you called the 5G Store? Do I need to put in a call to Elon again? Are we expecting 5 gazillion Mbps download speeds for highly polished Marathon coaches?

Plead The Fifth Hip Hop GIF by WE tv

Elon Musk Lol GIF by FullMag

And look what email just arrived. My shiny new Gen3 which allows me to use bandwidth meant for Marathon coaches :)

gen3.png

I think I will always need pepwave because i don’t have or need the starlink router. The app is not very advanced unless you have the router. What is wrong with desiring 5 trillion mps? After all it’s @Joe Hogan fault for sharing his speeds.

Ahh, yeah, no router. Hmmm, will the app still talk to the Dish though? Router may not be needed for anything. Open the Starlink app while connected to it via Pepwave and see what it shows? The app is not the most intuitive to use, maybe others can help you find what you need for more advanced settings. I'm at home at the Elon control center.

Okay commander, Right now I am away from the coach but I get the same screen when connected to WiFi.
Yes the app connects to the dish via the wan wifi connection but you will see in the screenshot the network is not available which is meant for the starlink router. So I can see stats latency etc or settings where I can reset the dish and or I can check for obstructions. That’s about it. You have an option in the network setting when you are connected to the starlink router to bypass it completely which is recommended if you want use a third party router. You get to choose and there’s probably an optimal hybrid approach.

1724782101987.png

1724782260864.png

When you're at the coach and connected to your Pepwave which is connected to Starlink, I'd like to see what the app shows. If anyone wants to share this that has Starlink setup with no router, please provide screenshots.

Latest resources

Back