• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Starlink

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We are up on the Oregon coast and a tech user suggested a small change on the health settings of the pepwave from dns to ping. I doubt that made a difference but the speed is impressive. Even the DW said this starlink stuff is pretty good. Enough said.

1724252755338.png

Glad your being nice to Elon is paying off. No, health checks do not affect speed. Health checks are fine using DNS but I would only select "public DNS" and I also enter DNS that is used for my networks to be manually set to:

8.8.8.8 (google)
1.1.1.1 or 8.8.4.4 (cloudflare, or google, respectively)

I think Elon'net uses Google by default, can't remember.

one thing I will say is the speed tests results vary a lot. Depends on where you are and traffic etc I would imagine.

Yeah, at some point you have to stop checking and just use the Ninja!

The need for speed is real. It is a typical Oregon coast day. It looks like imminent rain, and I don't want my precious ninja to get wet. I did get a griddle for the Ninja that I want to try.

Attachments

• speedtests.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi - just looking into getting starlink for my 2022 newmar london aire - for those that use the standard mobile (not the mounted flat high performance) - what have you found to be the best way to mount once you get to your destination? Does it take awhile to lock onto a signal? I optioned for a flagpole mount when I ordered my London Aire - can I use that somehow, or do some of you just put the unit on the ground? And, then, what's the best/cleanest way to run the wiring to the inside modem? Also, I assume if I have the standard mobile - I can move to a nearby cabin to use as well, when I am not in my RV? And, is it easy to pause service when you know you will not need it, or do you have to plan relatively well to utilize that option? Any other info/advice you think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated - sorry for all the questions...I am definitely a newbie with these techy things!

Just got mine installed at the house 259-316 Mbps. Much improved over the hotspot.

Beware. They warn you that speeds may drop during peak hours, I think 6-11 pm. It sure does. Speed from device to starlink 335, speed from starlink to internet 60-100 download, during these hours. It picks up again later 120- 200 @ 11:45 pm. Downloading videos is lighning fast compared to the hotspot with 1-2 bars of signal.

Last edited:
Elon welcomes you.

I'm so excited! Sheridan now has his wife's approval of Starlink and the Ninja. Whats next? White barbeque sauce?

Nope. I have a shiny new griddle for the ninja and I am going to cook up a storm tomorrow with fresh fish from the boats down at the harbor. Fits in the back of the toad in the carry bag. All is good. Now if I can find some grill mats that work that would be terrific.

Latest resources

Back