skychs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3636
RV Length
While I was on the phone with Freightliner the subject of when to raise the jacks came up. We have discussed the sequence of slides to jacks but not engine. They suggested starting the engine before raising the jacks. His explanation ... by starting the engine first ... it fills up the air tanks. With the air tanks filled, when the jacks come up the air bags/suspension will fill up faster. I have started to do that and Im really surprised how much faster it is.

The airbags will fill up faster yes, but you're still depleting the air from the tank that has to be refilled so I wonder in the end if it's really a time savings?

For my coach setup which uses Equalizer jacks there is a shuttle valve that does not allow air in the air bags while the jacks are down. I'm not sure if the tanks will fill either, I never tried it. Now that I have HWH Active Air the shuttle valve system is bypassed so I have no way to test. But I remember some unusual situations where for me jacks had to be up to air up. Again, not sure if that means too I can't fill the air tank, I don't think I could.

I'm sure you know Newmar wants you to be on airbags (travel config) when you extend and retract the slides, never on jacks.

I'm sure you know Newmar wants you to be on airbags (travel config) when you extend and retract the slides, never on jacks.
Yes I do. I just wished Freightliner was on the same page. Newmar has changed the sequence but Freightliner does not agree. One builds the chassis. One builds the house.

I understand Newmar's point of view. They say "think of it as a box in a box" which is your slide (box) moving in and out of the house (box). They don't want any frame twist. The question comes down to whether or not jacks can twist the frame. I believe they can because Equalizer mentions limits they put in place to prevent this. But if you think about where the jack locations are, which are at the same locations as the airbags, is it really possible to twist the frame? I don't know. I just follow the Newmar preferred guidance as my head hurts trying to think about it :)

My jacks don’t work if my engine isn’t on. Problem solved!

My jacks don’t work if my engine isn’t on. Problem solved

Ditto for me! In addition...I put the slide out AFTER jacks go down and pull it in BEFORE jacks go up...I know, I know ?

Our jacks work fine in my DSDP with the key turn on to the left using the batteries. Not necessary to crank the engine. Just sayin.

As per tech at Newmar, “ Always put slides out first when arriving and last when leaving.”His reasoning, “movement with least resistance.” Try it, he made a believer out of us.

Wow. For once, a no-brainer to answer. ?

You absolute are best to start the engine while/before raising the jacks. The engine runs the compressor which WILL replenish the tanks at the same time the bags are filling!

You’ll hear the pop-off/dryer valves vent and you know you’re topped off, and “on the bags”.

“On the bags” at “drive height” is the Perry much THE standard recommendation prior to moving slides; whether in...or out.

I didn't think the jacks would work with the engine on either. When the tech told me to try it I was shocked. Im still trying to figure it all out. :) Thanks for all the input.

Latest resources

Back