Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Airing up tires today as we head into cooler temps and noticed a strange wear pattern on the driver's side tag axle tire. All other tires look fine. Any ideas as to what's going on here? Chassis service at end of this trip, I'll be asking Freightliner Custom Chassis.

IMG_4239.JPG
IMG_4238.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG

Since that tag axle has passive steer, Id say something is worn or out of adjustment. That looks like typical wear for a tire on a front end in need of alignment..

Tags also can be knocked out of alignment. I would find an truck alignment shop.
My coach needed alignment and I did it in Orlando.

When I first got my Ventana it was out of alignment in the tag with a weird wear pattern like yours on both tires. Sure enough when I took It in under warranty it was out of alignment so they put new tires on the tags.

I'm due for those dreaded new tires anyway. I'll see what they say during my visit but my hope/plan is get two steer tires, put old steer tires on tag.

It will save you 2K

I have 35k on the coach and am having some of the same cupping on passenger side tag. I have my annual appointment at Spartan next week and have elected to have an alignment during this visit. Research indicates ride height out of tolerance on rear of coach or tag alignment as possible cause. I’ll update on any findings after visit.

Update

Spartan looked at the tire and didn’t think it was alignment issue. They decided to look at the balancing and it required 28 grams and when they rotated 180* it wanted another 24 grams. Spartan determined something wrong with the tire and elected to replace it under warranty, no prorating😀

I am having it aligned anyway for my own piece of mind after having our little escapade on Top of the World Highway. Results of alignment not known till later today.

It's interesting when researching Centramatics that this very wear pattern seems to be something they point out. So as @NWIP stated above, this is likely not an alignment issue but more so a balance (or out of round) issue and I hope centramatics on all axles, even with computer spin balancing, will help prevent this on the next set of tires. I imagine a tag axle may not be under loads as the drive axle is probably carrying most of the weight? This may cause the tag axle to skip I can only assume and any out of round or balance could be amplified. We'll see, centramatics go on with new tires this week.

Latest resources

Back