Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Is it a bad idea to remove and reinstall tires on a rim?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
In my opinion, once a tire goes on a rim it should remain. To remove a tire from a rim seems to be quite an invasive process that could cause issues on a tire, I am guessing. To me it seems the safest bet is once a tire is installed to leave it alone until replaced. Anyone have info or opinions on this and best tire care and lifetime practices?

This is a very good point.
Tire damage during dismount and remount is my concern with getting Rettroban.
Hopefully relatively new tires have not taken too much of a set before the Retroban installation.
It is very easy to damage tires during dismount and damage the metal tire bead. Especially if tires have been mounted for a long time.
The tire shop I use for rotations does not dismount , tires being the same size, but rather rotates aluminum wheels front to back, side to side, and steel inner rears side to side. tires are not directional.

So if you have a flat and the tire needs a patch you replace the tire?
I think when patching the tire is not removed. It's just plugged while on the rim. That's how I've seen it done on my car.

A better tire repair is to partially demount the tire and install an "umbrella" style plug from the inside. That said, I use to work where I'd get a lot of screws in my tires (everyone did) and used a LOT of those "poke in" plugs.

I've no issue with mounting and demounting tires. BUT it depends on the person doing. As that's normally me, no issues. Others I've seen carelessly rip tire beads and other cringy stuff. Thankfully with modern tire machines even the sloppiest and most careless tire person can usually mount and demount tires without harming anything. On big truck style wheels (over 18") there is no "beadlock" like on smaller automotive tires and so there's even less cause for worry about mounting. Without beadlocks you don't need a tire machine. But again you're at the mercy of the care of the person doing the work.

All that said, I've seen folks I would say could mount and demount the same tire 20 times and it would still look like new with no harm come to it.

Check out www.ustires.org . This web site is the US Tire Manufactures Association. Has lots of good information on tires. Yes a tire can be removed and remounted in most cases but not all. Tire patch repair is recommended using the inside style over the plug from outside. There is a cool tool that can install a mushroom style plug without removing the tire. Have used this style for years without any problems.
1694460512225.png

I tend to agree that you do not want to remount a tire any more than you have to...which is why I am getting Rettrobands with a new tire install. I have no evidence that remounting is bad, but I can see where mistakes could happen that may effect the tire.

My 2 cents.

Interesting question
IMHO, the action of dismounting and remounting has never concerned me. Earlier this year had some trailer tires dismounted and remounted to extend their life due to uneven wear. It never crossed my mind to be worried about it.
The only part that has concerned me is just the cost, time and aggravation of taking it somewhere to have the work done.
Thanks Neal - now I have something new to consider adding to my worry list 🤔

Well, I have no issue with it. Using the proper tools (as with anything) is the key. You just need to be careful of messing up your nice rims. They tend to take the brunt of the punishment. It’s very hard to damage the bead of the tire. You pop the bead from the rim, then lubricate the bead so it slides off when using the machine.

Latest resources

Back