Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Is it a bad idea to remove and reinstall tires on a rim?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think when patching the tire is not removed. It's just plugged while on the rim. That's how I've seen it done on my car.
So the warning printed on tire plug packages, that they are a temporary measure, and you need to have them professionally repaired is egnored by professionals in your area???

So the warning printed on tire plug packages, that they are a temporary measure, and you need to have them professionally repaired is egnored by professionals in your area???
So the high school kid working part time at the tire shop is the professional. I know because I was that kid lol.

I carried a tire and tire irons. I was my road side assistance!!!

So the high school kid working part time at the tire shop is the professional. I know because I was that kid lol.
As did I in High School. Worked at a ESSO turned EXXON Service Station. Between manning the pumps, I'd change tires, fix flats, mount new tires, even some basic tune ups. Scary to think how uninformed i was doing all that:-O

I think when patching the tire is not removed. It's just plugged while on the rim. That's how I've seen it done on my car.
Plugs are a bad idea. If tires are to be repaired it is much better to remove the tire and patch from the inside.

Plugs are a bad idea. If tires are to be repaired it is much better to remove the tire and patch from the inside.
I think it's important to distinguish in this thread when we're talking about cars vs. motorhomes such as Class A's, etc.

On a theoretical basis the idea on removing the bead from the rim is similar on most tubeless tire, some are clearly more difficult to mount/dismount. The popular very thin sidewalk tires I believe can be damaged more easily than a 70 sidewall tire. Larger sidewall has more give and material to grab on a larger size tire. Also tire machine is used.
Truck/Bus tires on the other hand are mostly mounted/dismounted with hand tools, this in my opinion increases odds of unexpected events. More skill and muscle need to be applied. Energy amount and application vectors are not predictable.

My $2

Attachments

• 1694618440878.jpeg
    1694618440878.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
I'll take a shot. Because they are rather different. "Passenger" tires tend to run at lower pressures, have softer sidewalls, and beadlock rims. For reasons of passenger comfort via a smoother ride and the beadlock is a safety feature.
The main aim of tires for heavy vehicles is load carrying ability and longevity. This higher the higher pressures and more basic tread designs. I frankly do not know why "big truck" tires don't have beadlocks but I can certainly attest that not having them makes big tires a lot easier to change by hand or with a primitive tire machine.

While the two kinds of tires aren't quite apples and oranges, they are rather different animals. I'm not thrilled with tire plugs in general and prefer not to use them. That said, I have installed literally hundreds of them over the years. Sometimes in my personal tires. But I would refuse to put such a soft plug in a "truck" tire that normally runs over 85 psi air pressure. Though it's done, I'm not doing it nor would I have such a repaired tire.

In some countries (Pakistan for sure) they will literally sew and glue pieces of tire sidewall AND missing tread onto heavily damaged truck tires to put them back into service. (There are Youtube videos) And here I am not even wanting to put a basic plug in the tread of one, but anyway.

Latest resources

Back