Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Surge Protectors Loosing Ability to Protect.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gizmo

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I was talking with a gentleman about surge protectors and seem to know what he was talking about. He said when surge protection takes small hits they lose its ability to provide protection. He also said that surge protectors should be replaced every few years. I never heard of that and have surge protectors in my house from the early 2000 and my RV Progressive is about 8 years old. He recommends one that that has a replacement board that contains the surge protector part of the unit.

My question to the group is this true?

Yes, this is true. Many surge protectors have indicators showing that surge protection is active. Others have no indication leaving the user with a false sense of security. Some models have replacement modules that can be installed by the user. While others, having no such indication, nor replacement modules are only suitable for the trash.

As a rule, surge protectors with non-replaceable modules should be replaced every two years.

Bob

I dont know about Progressives, but Southwire says their should last “indefinitely” unless hit by lightening. The Hughes products have indicator lights which should let you know when the surge protection is no longer functioning properly.

Surge protector performance is rated in joules which is the amount of energy they can absorb. Exceed this value and the MOV and associated circuitry internal to the unit is destroyed or rendered ineffective. Then any surge protection is nullified.

"I dont know about Progressives, but Southwire says theirs should last “indefinitely”....... Well, I suppose if they don't get hit by a surge value exceeding their ratings, then they would last indefinitely. In that case, one doesn't need surge protection. A direct strike by lightning and nothing survives, surge protectors, circuit breakers, and such. All will be destroyed.

Most lightning strikes are "near by strikes" and are not direct. The nearby strikes will induce an elevated voltage in power lines, CATV cables, and telephone circuits. This is where surge protection becomes most effective.

So you do have a surge protector or some such device on the site at the power pole, but what about the CATV cable between the power pole and your RV? Oops, bet you forgot about that one. That is a path into your RV.

We lived in S. FL for 15 years. That area is known as "the lightning capital of the world". During those 15 years, both in our boat on the ocean, and our home with my 50 ft ham radio tower, plus having an EE degree, I attained a great amount of knowledge regarding lightning and power line surges.

Be assured I confess that I am NO expert on the subject. I do have several papers that have been published on the topic of lightning and surge protection.

Take all precautions regarding the proper use and placement of surge protection devices. Perhaps you'll get lucky and experience no damage.

Bob

Latest resources

Back