Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TinaB1972

RVF Newbee
Need help please !! New owner of an old 1990’s rv. I had the tank cleaned out maybe 2 weeks ago and the tank in the bathroom toilet is starting to pile up again. I have used the recommended chemical to breakdown waste and followed the directions and don’t understand what is going on, why it’s happening or what to do about it.

Need help please !! New owner of an old 1990’s rv. I had the tank cleaned out maybe 2 weeks ago and the tank in the bathroom toilet is starting to pile up again. I have used the recommended chemical to breakdown waste and followed the directions and don’t understand what is going on, why it’s happening or what to do about it.
I have really tried to leave this alone! In my child like mind this could go in almost limitless directions.

However I know this is serious and not a joke, so!

When I was using a holding tank, or should I say we, the unpleasant duty of dumping the holding tank was on average every 14 days.

To much or to little water was typically a problem, but to be honest we were probably just full of it.

I would notice that the consistency was from a clay to clump depended on our intake. Clay piles at the input when staying in one place. A turbo wand cleans great when dumping the tank! My tank was poly, so I could inspect the tank and tell when it was clean by the tank floor (my home was a winnebago, yours could be different). If my wife's eyes were brown, I could easily have blamed any problems in this area on her! But alas we both had blue eyes.

May I suggest a clear fitting on the gate valve to determine how thick the discharge!!! Then you can figure what the solids ratio is!

Sorry! I could not help injecting a little humor in my answer.

As a new RV owner, are you also new to RVing?
Don’t want to assume anything. Do you leave the valve open to drain the black tank all the time? Or do you keep it closed and only open it to dump when it is getting full?
Black tanks need the liquid in them to keep things from solidifying.

As a new RV owner, are you also new to RVing?
Don’t want to assume anything. Do you leave the valve open to drain the black tank all the time? Or do you keep it closed and only open it to dump when it is getting full?
Black tanks need the liquid in them to keep things from solidifying.
Most recommend keeping the black and gray valves closed until bumping. Letting the tank build up helps it flow when the valve is open. Always be sure the black tank gets enough water. Sometimes adding water down the toilet when dumping can help. Some units have a city water hook up that can help flush the tank as well. Dump the gray tank after the black. It helps rinse out the hose. When going down the road, we generally put some water in the black tank (left over ice is good) and a small squirt of dish soap. The soap might not really do anything but it seems like it makes sense.
Ken

Latest resources

Back