• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Texas to Yellowstone West

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here is my story. I was born and raised in Wyo. The family left Wyo in 64' and big RVs were not. But I went back to visit my childhood memories in my then 95' adventurer. We also visited Jackson hole. We went up over the Great divide. On the way down going west I found what small gas engines(454) were not. they were not good for engine braking. Although I had good control of the rig, the unexpected encounter of a grazing dear was almost impossible to negotiate. The brakes had faded from the long downhill run, and we almost had to call the insurance agent. Luckily it did not dart in front of the RV. encounters of the 4 legged kind are not uncommon in Wyo.
great 'hair-raising' story.....i'm sure the note doesn't do justice to the actual experience :)

great 'hair-raising' story.....i'm sure the note doesn't do justice to the actual experience :)
No it was quite something, as many of my experiences have been. Each one has shaped me and my opinions. After the fact they fade but not the memory. I no longer shake from the thought, is how they fade. The reason I try not to be on the road after dark was because of many such encounters that had it been dark??? To be honest I don't travel the passes over the Divide much anymore, and if I do it is more than likely in the truck without the load.

Here is my story. I was born and raised in Wyo. The family left Wyo in 64' and big RVs were not. But I went back to visit my childhood memories in my then 95' adventurer. We also visited Jackson hole. We went up over the Great divide. On the way down going west I found what small gas engines(454) were not. they were not good for engine braking. Although I had good control of the rig, the unexpected encounter of a grazing dear was almost impossible to negotiate. The brakes had faded from the long downhill run, and we almost had to call the insurance agent. Luckily it did not dart in front of the RV. encounters of the 4 legged kind are not uncommon in Wyo.
My wife and i did a "test" run to Florida(600 miles) to test the F150-- hadn't gone 100 miles my says "you're gonna need a bigger truck". we upgraded to the 6.7L diesel--used it couple times on smaller runs-truck doesn't know it's back there. Appreciate your words of wisdom/experince Kevin--made me pause, that's why we did the test run, glad we did!!

Latest resources

Back