• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Texas to Yellowstone West

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Interesting-it appears thy only options, from Jackson-to-Yellowstone west is via 22 ....unless i'm missing it, which is possible. the trailer is a 6400# trailer-not sure what someone considers heavy--my cousin(Idaho) drives a huge motorhome and thinks i shouldve bought a particular 5th wheel(12,500#)....so is 6400# consider 'too heavy" coming thru 22?
In the end it's up to you. I'd do some additional investigation and make a decision. You could take 191 North out of Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone.

Good decision to take in Grand Tetons. If you are into bicycling there's a bike trail from Jackson Hole to Jenny Lake. Beautiful ride as you are looking at the Tetons the entire route. For a shorter ride you could start at Moose Junction and head to Jenny Lake.

Interesting-it appears thy only options, from Jackson-to-Yellowstone west is via 22 ....unless i'm missing it, which is possible. the trailer is a 6400# trailer-not sure what someone considers heavy--my cousin(Idaho) drives a huge motorhome and thinks i shouldve bought a particular 5th wheel(12,500#)....so is 6400# consider 'too heavy" coming thru 22?
Depends on what you are pulling it with.

F150 CrewCab....
That is far from enough information. Let me explain. The truck manufacturer may say a 6 cyl engine with 2 turbos can haul the load. That may be true as far as pulling it, but engine braking is far from sufficient. This means the down hill runs make things a little more questionable. The reason diesel is so popular is the braking power of the diesel engine. So more information than F-150 is needed for your question.

Oh, I see you already gave more info. But what is your drive train.

i did a 'virtual' drive on line....22 form jackson made 'lil queasy'....:) appreciate everyones feedback/discussion...look forward to hearing more info/responses/suggestions..

Here is my story. I was born and raised in Wyo. The family left Wyo in 64' and big RVs were not. But I went back to visit my childhood memories in my then 95' adventurer. We also visited Jackson hole. We went up over the Great divide. On the way down going west I found what small gas engines(454) were not. they were not good for engine braking. Although I had good control of the rig, the unexpected encounter of a grazing dear was almost impossible to negotiate. The brakes had faded from the long downhill run, and we almost had to call the insurance agent. Luckily it did not dart in front of the RV. encounters of the 4 legged kind are not uncommon in Wyo.

Latest resources

Back