• Commercial/Vendors welcome

The rapid decline of the RV industry

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Gas will always come from the same source: you cannot draw oil from solar. Electric is heading towards a more sustainable future even if it’s not there yet and some states are actively fighting against it.
I've seen this too, there's a bunch of lithium under several parts of Maine yet there is powerful resistance to letting it be mined.

The supply & demand I still agree with, I intentionally left out the part about who's messing with the "supply" part and their agenda.

I've seen this too, there's a bunch of lithium under several parts of Maine yet there is powerful resistance to letting it be mined.

The supply & demand I still agree with, I intentionally left out the part about who's messing with the "supply" part and their agenda.

I’m hoping we can find ways of storing energy that don’t require tearing up wild areas or find fuels that don’t require mining. Hydrogen seems promising.

As far as what's available right now, propane looks appealing from a customer standpoint, the infrastructure is in place to extract it so nothing new is needed, but it's unpopular having ~76% the energy density of E10 and less so vs. diesel. If it were to all of the sudden become popular, the price different between commodity and retail would shrink but we'd be back in the same situation with needing more of something that's not sustainable. West of Lincolnton, NC there's going to be another big lithium mine setup, I'm not too worried about it because after it's empty, 10 year later after reclaimation is complete, it won't be apparent a mine was ever there.

I'll believe it when I can get a reservation at a provincial park without waking up early 6 months in advance, opening 3 computers and hitting enter like I'm playing Hungry Hippos :)
That said, I have a new Heartland North Trail on order. I special ordered because I didn't want a 12v fridge, but I also wanted a 2023 rather than one of the 2022 possible pandemic units that they had on the lot. I figured if they're having big layoffs, maybe my unit will be built by guys with seniority/experience? Time will tell, it was built last week...
You figured all this out and you bought a Heart land🤣

Propane is produced from liquid components recovered during natural gas processing. These components include ethane, methane, propane, and butane, as well as heavier hydrocarbons. Propane and butane, along with other gases, are also produced during crude oil refining.
So we are going to process natural gas and oil to make propane? [MOD edit - politics - please refrain!].

Last edited by a moderator:
Propane is produced from liquid components recovered during natural gas processing. These components include ethane, methane, propane, and butane, as well as heavier hydrocarbons. Propane and butane, along with other gases, are also produced during crude oil refining.
So we are going to process natural gas and oil to make propane? Kind of defeats the purpose but I'm sure some in the white house would be all for it.
That's why I mentioned we'd be back in the same unsustainable situation as gasohol & diesel. It's not an issue now because it's not popular as a motor vehicle fuel. A big part of that is storage and as previously mentioned, the lower energy density.

That's why I mentioned we'd be back in the same unsustainable situation as gasohol & diesel. It's not an issue now because it's not popular as a motor vehicle fuel. A big part of that is storage and as previously mentioned, the lower energy density.

I seem to recall that my college had some trucks that ran off propane for the grounds crew. I started there in 1994. It kind of seems that if propane was going to be a thing, it would’ve taken off by now.

Electric is undoubtedly the future. Hopefully we can make it cost and materials efficient in the short term.

police GIF
This thread seems to be one where people can't avoid politics. Warning....no politics or the thread will be closed. We come here to feel good, remember? So eat a glazed donut, because that would make me feel good, and speak RV.

police GIF
This thread seems to be one where people can't avoid politics. Warning....no politics or the thread will be closed. We come here to feel good, remember? So eat a glazed donut, because that would make me feel good, and speak RV.

I’m firing up the espresso machine…

I also need to get the tow setup on the new truck. I might do that this weekend, and make sure the trailer is okay after a winter of non-use.

Coal??? In the US? Might want to check that. Maybe 20 percent ish. More like 7 percent in Canada. Coal is definitely on the downslide for electricity production in North America.
Still about 50% in Alberta, though.

Latest resources

Back