Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thoughts, Help from people with better technical knowledge.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Reebs

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Keystone Springdale
RV Model
1740RK
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Newbie, 1st time RV owner, learning about solar kits and mobile cellular internet/wifi, lots to digest and a long way to go yet. Want to put together both systems so I can work from the RV from national forest and BLM sites. Laptop, monitor & phone and internet is all I need to work. I've been researching cellular equipment, still learning the lingo and technology. Unfortunately my budget will not allow me purchase the max br1 pro 5G unit, but I found this unit that would fit my budget: Cudy AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 4G Cat18 Router LT18, Model: LT18-Cudy Home
1/3 the cost of the big peplink, similarly priced to lesser peplinks. The 1 thing that stands out to me is that it's not a 5G unit. Do y'all think this far inferior to the big peplink for the price? Pros / Cons?
Thank you.

If I was buying now, it would be a cudy.

Same here, if I was buying now, it would be a Cudy even if Pepwave was the same price. They look really good. I've been following comments about them on the LTE Hacks Facebook Group and people seem to be very happy.

I suggest you consider getting it from Wireless Haven, previously known as LTE Fix and associated with that FB group. You'll probably get better support if you get it from them.

It has a ton of features. See this video and this video Even if you don't know what they are, many are worth having for possible future use. I really like that it can use a WireGuard VPN and you can send AT commands to the modem. Both are techie features but neither are possible with a Pepwave. The admin UI looks very clean.

I wouldn't be put off by lack of 5G. 4G will be around for a long time.

I too am part of LTE Hacks and a few other similar. Lots of good info to be had.

I'm inclined to agree with Tetranz on 5G.
The specs & price point on this device are very interesting. Certainly a product worth considering if you are not already invested with something else.
Celluar availability in National Forests, BLM land, State Parks, National Parks, COE facilities, etc. can be questionable. You might want to consider adding an external antenna.
I'll be the 1st to admit I am a big Peplink fan, primarily for it's flexibility & ease of use. I'm also a big fan of Prime Care (Peplink yearly subscription option) & what is provides.
Looking at the specs for the CUDY, it appears this device does not access as many cellular bands as the BR1 PRO 4G model, nor do I see any information on router through put. May or may not be a consideration for you & your use case.

Last night I had back and forth with the manufacturer of Cudy. They ar in testing period of a 5G model of the same router, but no delivery time yet?
I ordered the 4G from the dealer here in the US. Now the question is: Should I buy a 4X4 roof top antenna?

I would see how the device works with the enclosed paddle antennas prior to investing in a roof top antenna. Depending on where you travel & camp, you may find the expense & hassle of installing an external antenna unnecessary.
Please understand, I'm not saying an external antenna won't improve reception. I'm only saying the unit may work just fine without one.

Following this topic. I am currently using my phone as a hotspot and it's Verizon. I have been annoyed by it because I it drops me if I'm inactive for more than 30 seconds or so.
we would probably be wanting to connect an iPad and a laptop only - mayyyyybe a desktop.
Currently I use only my Ipad, connected via hotspot to the phone. I Need to make a trip down to the Verizon store and ask them why I keep getting dropped. Do I really need a modem such as these. I wonder - can they can access more cellular networks that I can with my phone?
So far I've been getting by OK with my (very large) iPad and my phone. I'm just annoyed by the dropping and occasional dead spots.

Today I found out that the 5G model of Cudy router will start factory production in July.
One think I don’t like is that both models 4G and 5G have permanently installed WiFi paddle antennas. My external antenna has 7 wires. I can use only 4 of them. The 2 WiFi and the GPS will be there doing nothing 😀.

Latest resources

Back