Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Thoughts on easy access to the engine accessories?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
One of the many criteria we (I) used to evaluate the purchase of a new RV was access to the engine, specifically the accessory end of the engine. In the Newmar line up the DutchStar is the least expensive model with a Side Radiator which allows access to the accessory end of the engine. (see pic)

Many folks do not look at the engine, rather leave it to the Tech, which is understandable.

I like to diagnose issues on my own to determine what needs to happen at the Shop. Having easy access to the engine therefor is important to me.

So the Question, do most people want a clear view of the engine I.e. side radiator, or don't care one way or the other.

dutchstar rear engine picture.jpg

If Iwere buying a DP, side radiator would be a biiiggg selling point. Iwas impressed when I saw the engine compartment of the DS.

So the Question, do most people want a clear view of the engine I.e. side radiator, or don't care one way or the other.

View attachment 19651
I like to look inside, but to be honest, my diesel engine skills cover checking the fluids and looking for frayed belts. That's about it!

This is one of those Ford/Chevy passion debates but my $.02:
  1. I don't care, I'm not doing the maintenance. I had upper (head gasket) and lower engine maintenance done under warranty, neither were a problem to do by Cummins
  2. Side radiator takes up basement space, I have two basements on left rear because I have a rear radiator
  3. It's more moving parts, quite the discussion on FB recently about some drive shaft failure on the side radiator fan or something, I didn't pay that close attention but it was quite the saga
  4. It can use up some of your HP, it has a price to pay. I've heard 20-30 HP, I have no idea and it's all speculation
  5. Pick your coach based on floor plan and other reasons, the side radiator IMHO is not a reason to select a coach

This is one of those Ford/Chevy passion debates but my $.02:
  1. I don't care, I'm not doing the maintenance. I had upper (head gasket) and lower engine maintenance done under warranty, neither were a problem to do by Cummins
  2. Side radiator takes up basement space, I have two basements on left rear because I have a rear radiator
  3. It's more moving parts, quite the discussion on FB recently about some drive shaft failure on the side radiator fan or something, I didn't pay that close attention but it was quite the saga
  4. It can use up some of your HP, it has a price to pay. I've heard 20-30 HP, I have no idea and it's all speculation
  5. Pick your coach based on floor plan and other reasons, the side radiator IMHO is not a reason to select a coach
Interesting points.
Hadn't thought of the basement space the side radiators takes up.

The Rube Goldberg differential/transmission/driveshafts used to power the radiator fan has hopefully graduated to electric power in the newer models.

I also understand your point regarding leave the maintenance to the Techs.

However, the side radiator makes the Techs job much easier. Think about how easy it would have been to recharge your A/C if the radiator was not in the way.

But that said, I completely understand your thoughts on this.

I get it. But they know how to access items. The A/C is recharged up front above the GEN.

You have a dream coach on the way, like you I would certainly want to learn everything I could about anything I could access and keep it well maintained as I'm sure you will and I hope you'll share for others to learn.

Don't have, won't have!!!

But I have an opinion!

When someone asks me for help. I want to see what I'm getting into. I'm retired and I like that status, and when I can't see beyond many things in the way, I know I'm not looking at what should only be a one hour job.

That favor is going to take hours!

So how does that translate at the shop??? Guess that depends on how deep your pockets are!!!

I get it. But they know how to access items. The A/C is recharged up front above the GEN.
I guess I have a lot to learn. I thought you’d have to get to get compressor. Thanks for the insight.

I saw the access differences when between side radiator and rear rad when researching our first DP. I then focused only on side rad only.
One difference between Spartan is how they drive the fan on side radiator, FL is mechanical ie belt driving driveshaft, u-joints and gear box. Spartan is driven hydraulically eliminating a lot of failure point IMHO, I’ve had both

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back