Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
We are back to struggling with the issue of limiting the glare and IR/UV coming in the front windshield.
The potential of a Magna Shade is nice, once up, for the campground but does not help in transit.
I prefer not to wear sun glasses as it makes it hard to read gauges/GPS, at times, in the cockpit.
Considering a tint of 75% transparency on the windshield and possibly 60% on the side windows.
This allows for enough light for our limited night driving and blocks the majority of IR/UV. Also, I've installed excellent LED headlamps, so that is not an issue.

It is legal with a doctor's note (feel like I'm back in High school) to tint the windshield in Florida. Florida issues a permit for the windshield tint. Same thing in MN.

Thoughts from those with either or both?

Joe you might take a look at Llumar tint products. They have a product called AIR 80 that supposedly can be used on windshields and blocks ~40% of the heat transmission. I have never used these products, just saw some info on the web and thought it might be of interest. If you happen to go this route I would love to hear back, I have a West facing lot that I park on in Florida in the winter, so something on the windshield to reduce the heat would be nice.

Try this company in FL.

Another couple in our winter location had their windows done in a new coach. Also had the windshield in coach and toad done.

After windshield was done they said the heat was pretty much stopped coming in that way while parked. They didn’t need to put up anything on the inside or out after it was done.

They were impressed overall with the work and effectiveness of the products used.

We will be reaching out to them this winter to see about the windshield and the skylight in the cab of the coach. Probably toad windshield too.

We lived in Florida for a couple decades and had a script for tint in the front of vehicles. Having darkening tint on side windows and windshield is nice during the day but does have an impact on visibility and I end up rolling down side windows at intersections a bunch.
In the coach, we have darker tint on the side windows and when backing up I almost always roll down the windows for improved visibility and safety.
What I have found that works well for driving, but it may be considered to be geeky - I wear Rx glasses and use clip-on /magnetic sunglasses. Instead of putting the sunglasses on the Rx glasses where they are intended to go, I attach them higher. This results in my main vision having sunglasses and the bottom section of the lens having no sunglasses. I can see the dashboard gauges and displays.

We are back to struggling with the issue of limiting the glare and IR/UV coming in the front windshield.
The potential of a Magna Shade is nice, once up, for the campground but does not help in transit.
I prefer not to wear sun glasses as it makes it hard to read gauges/GPS, at times, in the cockpit.
Considering a tint of 75% transparency on the windshield and possibly 60% on the side windows.
This allows for enough light for our limited night driving and blocks the majority of IR/UV. Also, I've installed excellent LED headlamps, so that is not an issue.

It is legal with a doctor's note (feel like I'm back in High school) to tint the windshield in Florida. Florida issues a permit for the windshield tint. Same thing in MN.

Thoughts from those with either or both?

So Joe, you will need to call the state, but this sums it up.

Yes the FL Permit will get me around a Ticket (as did my MN prescription), but I do not want to draw the attention of Law Enforcement in any state so I might limit windshield to Llumar Air 80 which is very difficult to see that there is any tint from outside vehicle.
The Air 80 blocks 45% IR and 99+% of UV. The only downside is glare, while somewhat effective, is not as good as the Air 45 which blocks similar amount of IR but much more glare. Air 45 is much more obvious from outside vehicle.

Got the Tesla MY tinted with 45 Air tint. Nice, cuts heat and glare substantially. No need for sun glasses.
Next up is the RV. 45 Air front and side windows driver and passenger sides.

I tinted the sides and upper and lower part of the front windshield. It really helped with the heat.
Before I added the tint I had issues at night seeing left or right so I added side lights to see intersections better.

Attachments

• IMG_2020-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2020-compressed.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1708-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_1708-compressed.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
The RV front cab side windows tinted. We’ll get the windshield when we return from Mothership. The tint man wanted to do a single piece which requires a larger, wider tint roll than they stock.
The installer is a bit of a perfectionist so he wants the proper material rather than try to piece it together.
Looks great!!

Latest resources

Back