Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

carylynch

RVF Newbee
I am looking for a recommendation for a TPMS. I have a Class B with 6 wheels and would like something easy to install and understand. Also, I would not want to have to rebalance the tires due to the weight of the sensors.

I have used EEZ tire monitor system for two years with no problems. One word of advise. Follow the instructions to the letter. If you leave out a step it won't work.

EEZ Tire is what I am using. Works great!

The federal government mandated tire pressure sensors with new vehicles produced after 2005 and it was to reduce excess fuel consumption from underinflated tires and for no other reason. ABS, seat belts, safety glass, and engine governors were designed to make vehicles safer but not tire pressure monitoring systems.

My vehicles tire pressures increase with ambient temperaturs and with exposure to sunlight and from the flexing of the tires while driving and so it really does not matter at all if the tire is at 65P PSI or 75 PSI. If there is a severe leak it is obvious and all I need is a $15 tire pressure gauge to determine how fast the leak is draining air out of a tire. Regardless, the course of action is to go to a tire shop and have them remove the tire and fix the problem.

I have tire pressure monitoring that was installed by the factory on our three vehicles and it contributes nothing to driving safety. I don't have one on our Class C motorhome and never will have one as it provides no benefits to safety or fuel economy over what I get with my $15 tire pressure gauge.

I don't have one on our Class C motorhome and never will have one as it provides no benefits to safety or fuel economy over what I get with my $15 tire pressure gauge.
That’s a pretty sweeping statement! How does your $15 tire gauge work for you at 60 mph? Tire failures don’t just occur when you are parked. And, can your $15 tire gauge tell you when a tire is overheating because it is losing air? I don’t think so.

The point is that a TPMS is not a tire pressure gauge, it is an early warning system that can tell you a tire is going down BEFORE it fails completely, allowing you time to come to an orderly stop rather than a dicey panic stop. Obviously, the choice is yours, but I know what my choice is.

TJ

We have Tire Minder. Works great.

I don't have one on our Class C motorhome and never will have one as it provides no benefits to safety or fuel economy over what I get with my $15 tire pressure gauge.
Well, I will have to disagree that it doesn’t provide safety benefits. My EEZ TPMS saved me from a potential very bad situation. Driving up a mountain pass, my TPMS alerted me that one of the tires on my toad dropped pressure quickly. I pulled off the side to discover a flat on one of the front tires. Had I kept going any number of things could have happened including a fire from toad jumping to DP engine. I wouldn’t drive without one.

Latest resources

Back