• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tire Monitoring System

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The federal government mandated tire pressure sensors with new vehicles produced after 2005 and it was to reduce excess fuel consumption from underinflated tires and for no other reason. ABS, seat belts, safety glass, and engine governors were designed to make vehicles safer but not tire pressure monitoring systems.

My vehicles tire pressures increase with ambient temperaturs and with exposure to sunlight and from the flexing of the tires while driving and so it really does not matter at all if the tire is at 65P PSI or 75 PSI. If there is a severe leak it is obvious and all I need is a $15 tire pressure gauge to determine how fast the leak is draining air out of a tire. Regardless, the course of action is to go to a tire shop and have them remove the tire and fix the problem.

I have tire pressure monitoring that was installed by the factory on our three vehicles and it contributes nothing to driving safety. I don't have one on our Class C motorhome and never will have one as it provides no benefits to safety or fuel economy over what I get with my $15 tire pressure gauge.
I doubt you understand what a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) is. You are confusing it with the OEM system that most of our non-RV vehicles have on them where you will get that lame tire symbol on the dash when one of your tires are low.

For years commercial truck-tractor-trailers have been using TPMS's with external sensors so that they know when they blow a tire or one of their tires simply goes flat. Obviously it is a great piece of safety equipment to have on larger RVs for that exact same reason. If one of my 6 tires on my fiver start rapidly dropping pressure while I am going through Nashville at 70mph I would prefer to know it right away with an alarm going off on my TPMS. Without the system I would simply notice pieces of my blown tires tearing up the side of my fiver and possibly hitting other vehicles.

Calsun, if you are actually doing any serious traveling in an RV, or if you even own an RV, you should consider getting a TPMS because it is actually the #1 piece of safety equipment IMHO.

Well, I will have to disagree that it doesn’t provide safety benefits. My EEZ TPMS saved me from a potential very bad situation. Driving up a mountain pass, my TPMS alerted me that one of the tires on my toad dropped pressure quickly. I pulled off the side to discover a flat on one of the front tires. Had I kept going any number of things could have happened including a fire from toad jumping to DP engine. I wouldn’t drive without one.
I also have benefited over the years from having my system. The first time an alert sounded for one of my trailer tires just as we approached a rest area. It was a valve stem failure so I had a good safe secure place to change the tire out. The second time was on a U.S. highway in Alabama and the timing was perfect because if I wouldn't have gotten the alert when I did then I would have been past the area with large shoulders and center cross-overs, again providing me with a good place to safely address the issue. Both of these situations also prevent me from continuing on flat tires and having them come apart and tearing up my equipment.

Well, I will have to disagree that it doesn’t provide safety benefits. My EEZ TPMS saved me from a potential very bad situation. Driving up a mountain pass, my TPMS alerted me that one of the tires on my toad dropped pressure quickly. I pulled off the side to discover a flat on one of the front tires. Had I kept going any number of things could have happened including a fire from toad jumping to DP engine. I wouldn’t drive without one.
Renee,

I’m about to order a new EEZ Tire setup to replace our old TST. Did you go with the flow thru sensors or the regular cap type? I wonder which to go with.

All the best,

Charlie & Ronni

Hopefully @ARD will answer you but I'll share my opinion as I have flow thru's - I will never use flow thru's again. Too much weight on valve stem and I can spin off a pressure sensor just as easy as a valve cap.

Thanks Neal! Good to know.

I have been using TST 507 flow throughs for eight years now, with no problems (up to 80 mph in the class C). I do use the lock nuts to prevent them from loosening. The rear dually has a rubber insert in the wheel to hold it steady (purchased separately). This is absolutely essential.
Another thing to consider is using the manual tire pressure guage often may increase chances of leaks from manipulating the valve stem. Now since I check tire pressure at the beginning of every day on the road, it is much more convenient to push the button and instantly see the pressure and, and temperature of each tire without having to stoop down and play with the valve stems.
From a safety standpoint, it is also helpful to know if a wheel is over heating (perhaps due to a brake caliper sticking, or loss of pressure in a given tire).
On a recent trip one tire had a temperature of 137*F. They usually run 100-118. It was a very hot day. After stopping for a half hour or so to let things cool down, and check the temperature of the wheel. It was comforting to see the temperature drop to 109, when I resumed driving. I would not drive a large vehicle of any type without a TPMS, if I could help it.

There commended cold tire pressure takes into accout the the tires heat up while driving, so it really does make a difference whether the cold pressure is 65 or 75.

Last edited:
The federal government mandated tire pressure sensors with new vehicles produced after 2005 and it was to reduce excess fuel consumption from underinflated tires and for no other reason. ABS, seat belts, safety glass, and engine governors were designed to make vehicles safer but not tire pressure monitoring systems.

My vehicles tire pressures increase with ambient temperaturs and with exposure to sunlight and from the flexing of the tires while driving and so it really does not matter at all if the tire is at 65P PSI or 75 PSI. If there is a severe leak it is obvious and all I need is a $15 tire pressure gauge to determine how fast the leak is draining air out of a tire. Regardless, the course of action is to go to a tire shop and have them remove the tire and fix the problem.

I have tire pressure monitoring that was installed by the factory on our three vehicles and it contributes nothing to driving safety. I don't have one on our Class C motorhome and never will have one as it provides no benefits to safety or fuel economy over what I get with my $15 tire pressure gauge.
TPMS = tire pressure monitoring system not static tire pressure check. The TPMS purpose is to detect changes in tire pressures and tire temp providing a warning to driver something is not correct and should be addressed. a "Warning" usually associated with safety. I think possibly you just wanted to stir the pot a bit ;).

Did you go with the flow thru sensors or the regular cap type? I wonder which to go with.
I have the anti theft sensors, but removed the outer AT housing.

I have the anti theft sensors, but removed the outer AT housing.
Thanks Renee.

I took mine off our TST. I am getting rid of the TST system. I cannot read the display when driving in bright sunlight. And really don't like the plastic quill depressors in the sensors. So, gonna go with a new color display EEZ Tire system... Hope it is easier to read in bright sunlight and I feel better having g brass quill depressors in the sensor units.

Last edited:
So, gonna go with a new color display EEZ Tire system... Hope it is easier to read in bright sunlight
I updated to the new color monitor and have no trouble seeing it; however, I am having a new annoying issue that I contacted them about with regards to the beeping sound after it cycles through all the tires. I’ve never had this issue before and am uncertain if it is because of the new monitor or loss of connection. Will update as to what I discover.

Latest resources

Back