Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

sputterbug10

RVF Newbee
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a 1986 toyota rv (class C). It's a 4 cylinder and I wonder if it could also pull a toyota camry (weighs 3,162 lbs), if I can get a hitch put on it.

Welcome to RVF. I think you will find the 1988 Toyota Class C is significantly underpowered all by itself; towing anything with it is a non-starter. Sorry.

TJ

I've driven one of those Toyota class C's but with the bigger V6 3.0 engine and was quite unimpressed with its ability to pull itself. I'm quite positive you need a lot more drivetrain in an RV to pull another vehicle. You can kinda sorta do OK on level ground pulling more than you should because I've done it. The problem is that there are hills EVERYWHERE and they will kill power to the point that you will definitely be traffic hazard.

Back in the day those were actually called micro minis and many of them were great rigs. We had a huge recall on the rear axles for being over weight that put several mfgs out of business so their units did not get new axles. Most owners would not spend the couple grand to replace. If my adled brain remembers correctly the easy way to tell if the axle was replaced is the recall axle was one solid wheel and the replaced axle had separate wheels. Imo the Dolphins by national Rv were the best of the best and most owners received the recall.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back