• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

watercat

RVF Regular
To all moms and paps out there..

We are planning to buy a 33 feet travel trailer pulling with a Ford Expedition. All numbers line up, we do have 1000 lbs tolerance between the trailer and the pull vehicle, considered tongue weight/payload. So numbers work out. Also, will get an e-qa-lizer or Hensley hitch. Still, I have the question do you feel safe with a baby/toddler on board to pull a travel trailer? How sever is it with wind conditions, highway conditions, people speeding, pulling out in front of you and you have to react quickly, etc.? Just wanted to know your experience.
What should we prepare (physically and in our minds) for in terms of road conditions/safety?

You need to learn to drive for what you have. A larger vehicle or combination (truck and trailer) take longer to get moving and longer to stop. You will learn that you need to leave more room in front for safety. Far as the wind, that depends on your particular set up, but you learn your tolerances and drive appropriately. I would have no problem with having my family with me. It all depends on you. Sorry to be so blunt, but whomever is holding the steering wheel is the one ultimately responsible........

First, welcome to RVF, @watercat; glad to have you here. And, welcome to the world of RVing.

Now, to your question; thousands (probably millions) of families have enjoyed safe RVing over the years. Our family has done so for more than 50 years with both kids and grandkids. The key is to drive within your own comfort zone. @Gronk gave you some good basics and I agree with his bottom line; "whomever is holding the steering wheel is the one ultimately responsible."

In all honesty, however, safe RVing is far more than having all the numbers line up. A 33' travel trailer is a pretty big unit and pulling it with a Ford Expedition raises some questions for me. The Expedition basically is a modified Ford F-150 (half-ton) chassis. Being within 1,000 pounds of the max tow rating would give me pause because most people (especially families with kids) will use up that "excess" quickly. While most people are concerned with how much weight they can PULL, they forget about how much weight they will need to STOP.

Since I don't know the specific ratings for your Expedition and the trailer you are considering, I am not making any judgements here; just suggesting some areas you need to check out carefully. As I said previously, lots of people have traveled lots of miles in RVs over the years; most of them safely. Those who experienced problems were mostly those who pushed the limits in one way or another.

TJ

I was taught when I started riding a motorcycle to drive like every idiot out there was trying to kill me. I tell everyone driving a bike, car, or RV the same thing. My brother said that was to harsh and just that no one can see you may be better. Truth be told he is right. Everybody lives in there own world, this makes them blind to what is going on around them.
A few people observe what is going on around them but most only want to get to their appointments damn the rest of us. If you watch everyone entering the road ahead of you for movement( I like eye contact and don't trust anything else), and expect anything out of people, you can navigate through life without to much problem.

I have been traveling with trailers from the time my daughter was under 6mos old( been quite a few years ago). I give everybody there space and the right of way without question. I slow down for eradic drivers or those that appear to push their limits. I give people trying to pass room in front of me, I slow down for them when they can pass and the conditions are right for them to pass. I am in no hurry, other lives are in my hands, so it is up to me to be safe.

When I get cut off by someone I am not startled by them because I expect it out of them, so my movements will not upset the boat so to speak.
Oh yes @TJ$LadyDi have my opinion. an expedition is likely a little light, did you add all the human bodies into your gcvw numbers? An equalizer hitch will not change the gcvw and is not a fix for overweight.

@Kevin D Pem @TJ&LadyDi thanks so much for your feedback. This was my first post in this community and I really appreciate your honesty. A ford expedition would just fit so perfect as every day family car since it has a 3rd row. But yes the 1000 lbs tolerance is quickly used up, I agree. Got your points about save driving!

Anyone know a pull vehicle which can pull more than a ford expedition (9000lbs) whitch is a SUV or Mini/Cargo Van? I don't think there is a truck has 3rd row?!

I was thinking to get the Ford Expedition Max, which has a long wheelbase to make the physics even better. Any experience of someone out there pulling a 33foot with a Expedition Max?

@Kevin D Pem @TJ&LadyDi thanks so much for your feedback. This was my first post in this community and I really appreciate your honesty. A ford expedition would just fit so perfect as every day family car since it has a 3rd row. But yes the 1000 lbs tolerance is quickly used up, I agree. Got your points about save driving!

Anyone know a pull vehicle which can pull more than a ford expedition (9000lbs) whitch is a SUV or Mini/Cargo Van? I don't think there is a truck has 3rd row?!
Consider a 3/4 or 1 ton window van. Rear wheel drive a must in my book.

Interestingly, looking at the specs for the 2020 Expedition and Expedition Max, the standard version shows 200-300 pounds more towing capacity than the Max version. Any chance you might consider downsizing to a slightly smaller trailer? Dropping down to a 29-foot unit would significantly reduce the weight and would probably be a better fit for the Expedition.

TJ

Hi all, this is your newbie again.

Alright, I have taken all your feedback into consideration and want to ask for your advice on this new combination.

1 ton Cargo Van,
GMC Savana 3500 (or Chevy Express)
Extended Wheelbase
RWD, Towing Capacity 10.000 lbs
6L, 8 Cylinder, Gasoline
GVWR 9.600 lbs
GCWR 16.000 lbs

towing a

Toy Hauler Travel Trailer 32.8 feet
Dry weight: 7.330 lbs.
With Cargo: 9.300 with Cargo at max

What do you think? Is that also cutting it to close?

We do want to upfit the Van into a camper as well, so assuming that we add another 1000 lbs to the Van itself.

Everyone with experience on this welcome...

Cheers

Latest resources

Back