Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Being a former private pilot I’ve an interest in airplanes and flying in general. During my time as a pilot the FAA was a very helpful agency.

A recent story has caught my attention. Not sure what to make of it.

Last edited:
Joe,
Being a current pilot, that really gives me pause. I can see making accommodations for physical impairments. That has been a requirement through the ADA for years. But severe intellectual and psychological impairments? You have to ask, if folks in that category get hired when will their job description migrate to ATC?

It pairs well with some of the pilots out there. What is the problem?

Its a race to the bottom

I wouldn't over read into something like this. Just like a pilot, a controller, etc. all has to pass tests and ensure they can do the job satisfactorily. Shall I refer to the recent RV crossing a road and nearly getting t-boned by an 18 wheeler? So yeah, it applies to everything.

I have found ovder the past 20 years or so that
a) passengers on commercial aircraft/airlines have become complete and utter buttheads. Many act like spoiled toddlers that were told "no".
b) Most flight attendants and airline/airport employees have developed an attitude toward the public that is akin to "I'm an ass and there's not one damn thing that you can do about it" (this is very likely a result of "a").
I seldom fly anywhere anymore. I did it for 10 years when I worked overseas and I hated nearly every single airport experience. The exceptions were always foreign airports and carriers.
Adding inept and unqualified pilots to the mix just reaffirms my desire to never set foot on a commercial aircaft again.

My commercial flying ceased when I was required to take off my boots and empty my pockets in DSM Iowa. WHILE RETURNING FROM A DEPLOYMENT, IN FULL UNIFORM, ON A CHARTERED FLIGHT WITH NOTHING BUT FELLOW GUARD MEMBERS, AND OUR AUTOMATIC WEAPONS ON BOARD WITH US.
That incident told me all I need to know about "security" at an airport, and inside the U.S.
I'll drive, thank you, and help the commercial airline passenger industry go belly up.

Roger

I read a similar article years ago about firefighters in a certain area being hired with a greater emphasis on demographics than test scores. It was written by the daughter of a deceased fire captain who's subordinates almost got everyone out alive.

My last flight was on a P51 Mustang and plan on never flying commercially again.

Enough in this land I haven’t seen and can drive to.

Latest resources

Back