• Commercial/Vendors welcome

traveling with full water tank

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We travel with a full water tank and empty black and gray. You never know what the next stop may bring.
Same here ... you never know when you might need to spend two (2) nights in a rest area waiting for a new tire to get there.

FLSteve

Full water, empty gray and black.

I would think a full tank to probably be preferable to a partial tank if you are worried about damage. Full doesn't "slosh".

With us.... It depends

When we started with a TT we were told to not travel with a full tank as it was to much weight. As we evolved into a 5th wheel again FR Cedar Creek advised us not to and when I did fill the tank it sagged significantly so we carried water in jugs in case we needed to use the rest room. We had so many issues with the Cedar Ridge we were elated to get rid of it.

We are now in a MH and regularly carry water but usually not a full tank unless we are going to be on the road for multiple days. We always have more than enough for travel. Water weighs about 8 lbs a gallon, it's heavy.

My grand design was not built to handle full tanks. I am in the process of upgrading the frame supports for the fresh water. I don't want to tow it full, but would like to carry 20-30 gallons. Right now I don't feel comfortable with even that load.

We do keep a couple of 5 gallon water tanks in the pickup bed.

Such a difference between the trailer and the Class A. Just takes a bit of understanding of what the equipment limits are.

Am I the only one bothered by the idea that the builders of certain campers seem to have failed to take into account the weight of the tanks they built in if some owner were crazy enough to dare trying to fill one? What's the purpose of a tank you can't fill because the frame can't support it? What's the purpose of the tank in a travel trailer if it can't carry its load of water while traveling? Feel like I'm missing something here. Or is it them?

Latest resources

Back