Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trying to pick the right internet solution and peplink hardware.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The device is the best available at this time AFAIK and it's worked great for me.

We have dual radio Pepwave from a few years ago, and would not get dual radios again. If I ever thought we needed dual, then would do what Neal has configured above.

Our setup:
- Starlink into WAN on Pepwave
- ATT 100 GB plan in Pepwave
- IF there is campground WiFi that is worth adding, we use Pepwave for this, but only on 2.4
- Use Pepwave WiFi for our wireless devices, but only 5.8
- IF needed, will use the Husky MiMo antenna on cellular for Pepwave
- WiFi is ONLY done using paddles on Pepwave (Pepwave sits on shelf near a window)

With this setup I can get WiFi signal when I am walking the dogs a hundred feet away.

We only need to use the Husky antenna maybe 2 months out of the year. The Pepwave paddles work remarkably well.
Our Husky antenna is not permanently mounted, but put it on the roof for those rare times it is needed.

Separating out 2.4 to only be used for campground WiFi connection and use 5.8 for our devices, avoids the Pepwave known issue with conflicts.
Hi @MemoriesByTheMile thanks for taking the time to answer. Can you share why Pepwave model you have and what antenna. I do like not permanently mounting it but how are you getting the wires in the coach?

Hi @MemoriesByTheMile thanks for taking the time to answer. Can you share why Pepwave model you have and what antenna. I do like not permanently mounting it but how are you getting the wires in the coach?
We have the Pepwave Max Transit Duo LTEA

Antenna - Parsec Husky Pro11HLTE. But I usually do not use the wifi portion. Should have gone simpler with the PROH 4x4.

We use a couple suction cups on the side of the Coach to keep the wires from rubbing and we have a small window on the side of a slide that I bring the wires in, next to the shelf where the Pepwave sites.

I could make a hole in a basement bay up into the Coach, but since I don’t need the external antenna very often it hasn’t been worth the time or mental anguish to drill a hole.

Just chiming in on the install side, I finally put my starlink router in the basement and commandeered a cat5 cable that was running to the bedroom TV from the entertainment system. Cut the cable, installed male and female jacks and voila, I have a cat5 run to the bedroom cabinet where the pepwave sits for the wan starlink connection without drilling or augering any new holes and I can restore to TV use for the next guy when we eventually change coaches. I have the Max Transit Duo LTEA also so there is a 5 port switch inline to the WAN port for the Starlink as the pepwave wont negotiate the 1G speed without it. (Known issue with that model). I have not tried the roof antenna for the pepwave as the paddle antennas seem to work fine for us going down the road, I never attempt to use the park WiFi anymore so that part of the pepwave is idled. Stationary I put the starlink up and let it do the heavy lifting. Starlink cable just goes out of the bay door and the seal does not damage it. Deco mesh system to provide ports and WiFi in the coach, and an additional unit for outdoors, the casita or sharing with neighbors when the park cable system went down recently. There are tons of Pepwave models, and I too would probably not buy a dual modem model again as the failover is not instant and really requires the speed fusion option to work the failover properly. Since that is now a metered service and stupid expensive I am doing without it and so far no issues keeping a solid internet signal rot work and streaming TV.

Thanks for sharing @Scotttkd2

On my end I just ordered
  • Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G / CAT-20 Mobile Router, WIFI 6 × 1
  • Parsec Husky Pro 7
We'll see how it works out.

:D

Let us know your thoughts and how it works for you!
Eagle 5's heading to the shop tomorrow so it might be a while before I get an update but I definitely will.

Howdy y'all.

Since many of you have already done the research into this topic many times over I'm hoping to pick your brains.

I have, for a multitude of reasons, a need for decent, stable internet when traveling. Not so much when on the road but when stopped at different campground.

I have a starlink and my current setup is Starlink -> Amplify HD Mesh Router. I don't like nor want to use the Starlink router so the wifi is off and I hardwire their router to the Amplify.

I'd like to add 5g to this and was considering going this route:

View attachment 17144

The BR1 Pro 5G would connect to VZ network and I would use the WAN port to bring in service from Starlink. I would then out with LAN1 to the Amplify Router that would manage my internal network. My understanding is that this leaves me the usage of the BR1 Pro 5G's Wi-Fi WAN which I could use to add (when available) wifi as an additional source.

Would you recommend another unit besides the BR1 Pro 5G, if so which and why?

Thanks for any advice.
I'm just curious...

How many of those routers are actually working as a DHCP router?

I am not familiar with the Amplify product your make reference to in your post or the schematic you attached. Is this the link to their website Please don't take offense to these questions. I'm trying to learn from the experience of others.
What is your reasoning for selecting this product (Amplify) to manage your network as opposed to the Peplink device?
Why would you go with a mesh system as opposed to an access point?
The BR1 Pro series of cellular router/modems are very robust with a very intuitive user interface. Will the Amplify product afford you the same level of flexibility or better?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Food for thought for anyone else assessing Peplink's lineup to get WAN bonding:

With the release of firmware 8.3 the Balance 20X has become an amazing device for the money - unfortunately most online literature hasn't been updated to reflect the changes.

TL;DR: The 20x is now on the mobile OS, for under $600, and has the ability to expand to 7 WAN inputs!

Some highlights:
  • It has been moved to the mobile interface - so its UI is now the same as the Max/BR devices.
  • Cellular: It comes with one cellular modem (opt for the cat 7 - not the cheaper cat 4) and has a slot for a 2nd modem AND has a USB port for a 3rd modem that is plug & play in the UI so it works as if it were internal.
  • Primecare is Level 1 - so it is under $50 per year - and that includes 500mb of speed fusion. Additional TB's of speed fusion are only $40.
  • With Primecare it now includes a virtual Wan license so you can have TWO ethernet Wan devices.
  • With Primecare it now includes Wifi as Wan
  • Runs easily on DC
Basically you can build it out to have similar functionality as the $2900 BR2 - but only buy the pieces you need.
Food for thought.

cheers, 🍻
Edward in Colorado

p.s. There is rumor of a Balance 20x Pro in the works.

Latest resources

Back