DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I’m trying to figure out how I would connect sat boxes to my system and be able to watch two different channels on two TVs simultaneously. I received a drawing from Newmar that was supposed to lift the veil of ignorance. Nope. At least not for this guy who hasn’t wired anything since the days of Betamax.

The two TVs I want to do this with are the one in the main salon and the one outdoors.

It is my rudimentary understanding that I can watch the same channel on all TVs as wired, but need another sat box for the second one to watch different channel. Therein lies my brain block.

what exactly do I need to do to make this happen?

I’m sure this is simple. Or not.

Attachments

• 2019_HDMI_CAT6_1.pdf
    309.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 576A1C7B-079E-4370-A4A3-59B0CEDF2637.jpeg
    576A1C7B-079E-4370-A4A3-59B0CEDF2637.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 74140088-67D9-47B5-B019-44EE135B7F94.jpeg
    74140088-67D9-47B5-B019-44EE135B7F94.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 15
What are you using for a satellite dish; rooftop or portable? And does if have two separate feeds? Most do. I’m no satellite expert, but I believe you need two feed lines from the satellite dish to do what you want to do.

TJ

Thanks TJ. I have a rooftop winegard travlr configured for Dish Network. I should have stuck with DirecTV, but that’s another topic.

Attachments

• 99C1E85A-5E7E-4298-A976-2B2C9C6A5155.jpeg
    99C1E85A-5E7E-4298-A976-2B2C9C6A5155.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 9
Your TV has a HDMI input, only one SOURCE can be selected for viewing. That source is your SAT box. You can use two separate boxes as I do, a wally in the bedroom AV compartment which has a coax connection to the SAT antenna and a HDMI connection to the bedroom TV. The front AV compartment has a wally box (DISH SAT) that has a HDMI out that goes to a splitter, that splitter feeds the televator, front, and external TV's.

There are some SAT boxes that allow multiple TV's to watch different channels, I don't know how that's wired up, I would assume separate HDMI or two boxes that talk to each other such as a main box and a paired auxiliary box.

...configured for Dish Network. I should have stuck with DirecTV, but that’s another topic.
Not sure why you feel this way, I could not be happier with DISH. Their customer support is good too.

Thanks @Neal. I switched to Dish for the better customer service, but overlooked the programming aspect. Dish does not carry MASN which is my primary sports network. They also do not carry HBO, but I can stream that if needed.

IMHO all SAT is going obsolete soon. Everything you want will be streamed. At least with DISH you can suspend service at any time and not have to keep paying and resume when you want. If you don't have Apple TV (or your flavor of streaming tools) I'd consider getting it.

I’m trying to figure out how I would connect sat boxes to my system and be able to watch two different channels on two TVs simultaneously. I received a drawing from Newmar that was supposed to lift the veil of ignorance. Nope. At least not for this guy who hasn’t wired anything since the days of Betamax.

The two TVs I want to do this with are the one in the main salon and the one outdoors.

It is my rudimentary understanding that I can watch the same channel on all TVs as wired, but need another sat box for the second one to watch different channel. Therein lies my brain block.

what exactly do I need to do to make this happen?

I’m sure this is simple. Or not.
When we ordered our coach I did not have a roof top dish installed by Newmar as I wanted to just transfer our RF Mogul dish from our previous coach which our dealer did upon delivery. Coach was prewired with a seperate coax from the roof to both front and bedroom AV locations to provide a source for each reciever. I did have Newmar add a coax and AB switches from the electrical bay to each AV location as we are frequently in OR and WA where a portable is often required. Also had the outside TV source wired from the bedroom so the outside TV could receive different programing than the main TVs

@Neemer
The Trav'ler antenna will support up to three receivers. Your comment regarding needing a "second" satellite box to watch different channels on two tv's is correct. I suspect your coach may have two of the three coax's for receivers already run, 1 to the front /salon tv, the second to the bedroom tv. As @Neal has stated the typical wiring is a single satellite box in the front electronics cabinet with the HDMI output running to a HDMI splitter/amplifier which then runs a HDMI cable to the salon TV and the outside TV. Assuming this is the wiring set up you have then the approach I would use is.:
A) Run a coax from the third coax connector on the Trav'ler to the electronics cabinet. (I'm assuming there is a conduit that the current cables run in so this should not be too much of a pain).
B) Install a second satellite receiver in the electronics cabinet. Attach the new coax and the HDMI cable that is currently running to the outside TV to the new receiver.
Now you have a satellite receiver (the original one) dedicated to your salon tv and a separate one (the new receiver) dedicated to your outside tv. Assuming you go with a Wally receiver the remotes to the receiver are RF so you should be able to use the remote outside to control the receiver inside. (my Dish remote will control the Wally in the electronics cabinet over the driver seat so I'm thinking this should work for you also.)

Hope this helps

One dish on roof, will support at least two tuner boxes. Put one in main part of house, the other in the bedroom. Then feed output of box to TV's using HDMI cable from Sat Box to input cable in compartment. The sat on roof feed to boxes will be normal except you have to hook up each one. Think through the first one, then do same thing for second one.

Latest resources

Back