• Commercial/Vendors welcome

TSD Logistics shows what Good Sam is making off of us

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A few years back on another thread and forum there was a lot of speculation over the effects if any using Bio Diesel. I reached out to Cummins directly and this was what I learned. Cummins has seen a lot more fuel related issues from BD, including more deposits in the fuel system. They said that this is particularly bad when a tank of BD sits for longer storage intervals. There advice was if you have to run BD only get as much as you will run out on your trip and increase your oil change and fuel filter intervals if used repeatedly. I asked why this isn’t noted in the service literature, I got an evasive answer, I assumed because they do state that BD 20 is permitted.
In all fairness I have not recently checked to see if anything has changed.

Nice part about the Love’s app and the TA app is you can see if it straight Dino or if it has Bio in it and what percent bio.
Since bio diesel is more susceptible to algae growth I try to avoid it before parking for weeks or months. If I cannot avoid the bio diesel, then I am sure to use an additive to help prevent the growth.
I came to this realization after using bio diesel, 20%, and it sat for a month or 2. Then drove a thousand miles while steadily losing power - plugged fuel filters.
Now I carry spare fuel filters and additive.
While traveling/driving regularly, I don’t bother avoiding the bio diesel.

Doing a quick internet search I find no serious reason to avoid using BD other than the same arguments used for ethanol (cropland use, water used for crops etc). There is some concern if used in cold weather areas but it seems as if, for the vast majority of cases, BD works just fine. I guess this is just another worry that I really don’t need. I’ve got enough already when it comes to our moving home. 😅

Nice part about the Love’s app and the TA app is you can see if it straight Dino or if it has Bio in it and what percent bio.
Since bio diesel is more susceptible to algae growth I try to avoid it before parking for weeks or months. If I cannot avoid the bio diesel, then I am sure to use an additive to help prevent the growth.
While traveling regularly, I don’t care about avoiding the bio diesel.

Doing a quick internet search I find no serious reason to avoid using BD other than the same arguments used for ethanol (cropland use, water used for crops etc). There is some concern if used in cold weather areas but it seems as if, for the vast majority of cases, BD works just fine. I guess this is just another worry that I really don’t need. I’ve got enough already when it comes to our moving home. 😅
Again this was brought up by me to answer a direct question, everyone should do what makes them comfortable. When I made the call to Cummins it was because of conflicting comments like we re seeing in this thread. Quite honestly I was hoping there answer would have been BD is fine to use without concern.

Just watched this and learned more about renewable diesel
And the pros and cons of B20

Perhaps back in 2018/2019 when I called Cummins there were more people switching form no 2 to BD causing the deposits in the fuel system to dislodge. Maybe someone should volunteer to call Cummins factory service and get the latest information

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 7
Cummins has approved certain engine to use up to B20. Personally I have seen what it does to home oil heating systems, not good.

My preference is to avoid it.

I agree it is approved in writing. what the Cummins rep said to me is using B2 will not void your warranty, however if fuel contamination is the issue it’s never covered under warranty

Latest resources

Back