Upgrade Verizon data plan

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Per the fmca website.
Can we use our own device? No, the router that comes with this plan is required for the plan.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that about that plan. The FMCA AT&T plan can be used in other devices but it sounds like you want the 5G. Well that's frustrating.

Per the fmca website.
Can we use our own device? No, the router that comes with this plan is required for the plan.

I’ll look at SL again. I’d prefer one internet source and pick one or the other. Not both.
Since we have Wi-Fi built into the new coach and a cellular antenna on the roof - when I talked to FMCA support they said they would send a SIM card for the antenna on the roof if we wanted and tie that to the AT&T plan they have.

We carry the portable box in the toad now and then so we kept it that way.

Hi Sheridan,

A few things…

1. Verizon pre-paid is a nightmare!! And don’t even THINK you’re gonna get help from them. I gave up.

2. TMO Gateway is awesome!!!! The add-on, for us, was only $30/month and it’s been flawless for over a year. Not everywhere has good 5G, but I use a backup AT&T special plan.

3. Your experience with the router being rejected is because the carriers now will see the device the SIM is in (via IMEI)…and WILL KICK YOU OFF for violating their TOS, if you don’t have the right plan. This happened to me when I tried to use a Mobley-type SIM a while back…it’s a random thing, but their software is getting dialed-in to be a better hunter. I know the guy who wrote the software for the carriers to block devices.

4. Remember that “unknown” devices will, almost always, get de-prioritized service. For example, IF Verizon detects a device that’s NOT one sold BY Verizon…they’ll bump it down. Basically, a Verizon iPhone gets the top priority, then their iPads, and so on. Again, controlled by their software. Doesn’t mean it’s absolute, but it can and will happen eventually.

5. By the same electronics engineer, he just told me Starlink in-motion is about to get CRAZY expensive. It almost sounds like the new plans will be “Priority” and can cost up to $10k/month for some applications…yikes**. SL was using a speed-check that didn’t allow service over like 8 knots…hence their maritime plan working on boats, but RVs…not so much. So, just keep this in mind. I’d hate you to get a bad surprise…but I can’t see how they could shaft all the “fixed” RV folks. I think my friend told me Mobile Internet Resource just did another update video on this.

**I’m still really unsure of why my friend said the new in-motion Priority will be so expensive. Here is the link for the MIRC video:

Hope this info helps you a bit.

Last edited:
That really helps @CaptainGizmo. I was able to finally find someone at Verizon who knew more. I learned something. When I got the sim I had a max transit duo and I stuck the Verizon sim in it. When @nesl twisted my arm to the point of pain to get the 5g obviously I had to comply. I moved sim and that’s where the problem was. The imei was for the old router so they added the new one and I recycled the router and it worked and they were able to change the plan. So I am back in business.

I’ll have to watch the video @CaptainGizmo included on SL.

That really helps @CaptainGizmo. I was able to finally find someone at Verizon who knew more. I learned something. When I got the sim I had a max transit duo and I stuck the Verizon sim in it. When @nesl twisted my arm to the point of pain to get the 5g obviously I had to comply. I moved sim and that’s where the problem was. The imei was for the old router so they added the new one and I recycled the router and it worked and they were able to change the plan. So I am back in business.

I’ll have to watch the video @CaptainGizmo included on SL.
Glad you got the help needed!

FWIW, in terms of the “ID” problems, I didn’t have problems with my PepWave Duo, but once I moved to the CradlePoint…boom.

@sheridany please reply with your Starlink order number. Looks like it's my week to be your supervision again :rolleyes:

Black Lives Matter Hands GIF by Barbara Pozzi

Latest resources

Back