Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I currently have the pro data plan with Verizon (100 gb) for my pepwave 5g wireless router. I also have the AT&T (100 GB) data plan. We are running through bandwidth quickly having used up the Verizon plan and now the AT&T plan is too slow. I’d like to get a larger plan from Verizon and I have had more than one person ant Verizon tell me me there no plans I can switch to. I find this ludicrous. There has to be something or I am asking for the wrong thing. By the way, Verizon prepaid says that my 5g router isn’t “compatible” with their network when I put the imei code in for the router. It’s not a different network necessarily? I thought the difference is prepaid versus post paid. Maybe it’s time to go to T-Mobile.

Your first answer is Starlink.

Second answer: There are ways to save bandwidth. The first idea is to turn OFF Wi-Fi on your cellular devices such as your phones. If they can bring in Internet through their individual plans through cellular then don't waste bandwidth from the Pepwave when you are not utilizing your mobile device plan that comes with it.

For cellular plans it can be a matter of having multiple plans if needed. Some have multiple Verizon plans for example. You could look at T-Mobile as another option, sadly I don't think their 100 GB plan is available any longer, I think it's down to 50 GB but you could inquire and try yet another carrier out. Just be thoughtful of what's using the bandwidth and options to control the usage and which device to use as outlined in the post above.

I'm looking at TravlFi. The router looks at all three of the big providers and connects to the strongest one. You can also manually move to a weaker but perhaps less congested carrier through the app.

The plans are pay as you go and can be paused. However, they are month to month depending on your sign up date, so let's say you are traveling 2 weeks in one month and 1 week in the next, you will pay for 2 months. I don't think this is unusual.

Their top plan is their Unlimited plan for $129/mo. Per their Fair Use Policy, Unlimited users may experience slower data after 800 GB/mo down to 5 Mbps. I don't even use 800 GB at home streaming every day. I believe $129 undercuts Starlink.

They also have per GB plans up to 200 GB.

Of course, if you are way out in the boonies with no cell service whatsoever, SL is still the only game in town that I know of. I'm starting to see a lot of grumbling out there that SL has been raising prices and in some cases, folks have written they have quit SL.

I currently have the pro data plan with Verizon (100 gb) for my pepwave 5g wireless router. I also have the AT&T (100 GB) data plan. We are running through bandwidth quickly having used up the Verizon plan and now the AT&T plan is too slow. I’d like to get a larger plan from Verizon and I have had more than one person ant Verizon tell me me there no plans I can switch to. I find this ludicrous. There has to be something or I am asking for the wrong thing. By the way, Verizon prepaid says that my 5g router isn’t “compatible” with their network when I put the imei code in for the router. It’s not a different network necessarily? I thought the difference is prepaid versus post paid. Maybe it’s time to go to T-Mobile.
We picked up TMobile home a couple months ago.

They let you move around with it no problem.

$50 a month until we move our phones from Verizon which will drop the home internet to $35 a month unlimited.

As long as there is a TMobile signal it works great.

Currently we have the AT&T box from FMCA as a backup just in case.

Verizon can be pretty stupid. A while back I was on the phone via VoIP on my original Pepwave BR-1 when a rep told me it was incompatible. To restate, I was doing VoIP on the BR-1 on my Verizon data plan and they were telling me it was incompatible with their network.

Astounding!

Anyway, I've since read that if anyone says it's incompatible, get a supervisor.

It’s maddening as I have talked to at least 3 people at Verizon. I am “grandfathered“ with the data plan. I can’t add data aka data boost or even get a new line with the better plan. I am unsure where the heck Verizon is going with this nonsense.

As far as SL goes, it seems things haven’t settled down on pricing, data allowances etc. I talked to four marathon owners with SL this week and it seems like each has a slightly different flavor of pricing, speed etc depending on what and when they signed up.

and T-Mobile does not 100 gb plans anymore.

You said AT&T was too slow but how much speed do you really need?

If I had a Pepwave and wanted to get away from those expensive prepaid 100 GB plans, I'd look at the two plans from FMCA. 290 GB 5G from Verizon for $89.99 or unlimited 4G 25 Mbps AT&T at $59.99. The Verizon plan should work pretty much the same as you have now but with almost three times the data for the same price. FMCA membership doesn't cost much.

As far as SL goes, it seems things haven’t settled down on pricing, data allowances etc. I talked to four marathon owners with SL this week and it seems like each has a slightly different flavor of pricing, speed etc depending on what and when they signed up.
Not sure I understand. Get the RV (roam) plan and it's unlimited data. You can pay for priority data if you choose as you need it (i.e. at any time) but that shouldn't be necessary. The price is fixed, I believe $150/month (didn't look) and that's it.

If I had a Pepwave and wanted to get away from those expensive prepaid 100 GB plans, I'd look at the two plans from FMCA. 290 GB 5G from Verizon for $89.99 or unlimited 4G 25 Mbps AT&T at $59.99. The Verizon plan should work pretty much the same as you have now but with almost three times the data for the same price. FMCA membership doesn't cost much.
Per the fmca website.
Can we use our own device? No, the router that comes with this plan is required for the plan.

I’ll look at SL again. I’d prefer one internet source and pick one or the other. Not both.

Latest resources

Back