Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Since we have a new TOAD, I'd like to protect the front from rock chips etc. I was looking at car bras last night and they are not too expensive and seem easy to put on and take off? Anyone use one on their TOAD? I don't want the BO or Roadmaster shields that are available.

I have towed our Wrangler since 2012 behind two different coaches for at least 90k miles all over the US & parts of Canada. The coaches both had rear flaps installed and I’ve never installed any other toad protectors. Maybe I’ve been lucky but the Wrangler still looks great after driving it another 60k over the 90k of towing. Not sure I would recommend a bra as they have their own problems regarding the paint changes under them. JMHO.
BTW, what is your new toad if I may ask?

No direct experience but I've talked to a few people who tried them and ended up having paint damage from small rocks and dirt getting behind the bra causing the damage. YMMV.

I have towed our Wrangler since 2012 behind two different coaches for at least 90k miles all over the US & parts of Canada. The coaches both had rear flaps installed and I’ve never installed any other toad protectors. Maybe I’ve been lucky but the Wrangler still looks great after driving it another 60k over the 90k of towing. Not sure I would recommend a bra as they have their own problems regarding the paint changes under them. JMHO.
BTW, what is your new toad if I may ask?
We have towed an XJ, TJ and now a JK behind three different motor homes. All three have had the large "solid" flap about a foot in from the rear bumper. We did get a very few chips on the front edge of the TJ and now we have a few on the JK as well. I'm not sure if they are from them being towed or not but from looking at other Wranglers, they appear normal. We do protect the Windshield using a $12.00 Yoga Mat that we picked up at Walmart. The wiper blades sit on top and we tuck the ends into the door openings and then close the doors. Job done! You can color key the Yoga mat too.

Darrell

Last edited:
The only thing I can offer is to carefully remove it every few days and remove the grit under it as that will cause scratches to appear on the hood and fenders.

Same comment as above.

The wife had one on her car over the years and got tired of taking it off to keep things from getting under it and putting it back on.

Have pulled our Hyundai Elantra 20,000+ miles and nothing from towing it. Nothing extra protecting the front.

No issues here, I have the rock guard on my coach, always have, and nothing noted on the Colorado nor have I looked that close or cared. I once bought a contraption that is like a net that can help block them that go on the tow bar. Never used it and sold it long long long ago.

You may want to consider a clear bra like I had installed on my Porsche.

I have the stock long rock guard underneath the the coach, towed our Sahara 4 door JK 30K miles no nicks or damage to front end. IMHO a bra is just a PIA to install and take off.

I have the toad listed below. I took off the RV rock guard and have far far less pebbles ending up in the windshield valley (prior to the actual glass where the wipers are located). Yes I have many dings in the area below the bumper but still looks OK after 36K towing miles and it has the original windshield. (although it's pitted w under 60K total miles).
It's a toad! It's only feet from my rig when towing at 65mph!
The lower front (below the windshield) of my RV has dings too and I try to hang to the right side of the lane when passing trucks in the opposite direction. I also try to keep a distance from trucks in front of me.
I have a full time friend who tows his 2020 Corvette in a trailer.

Latest resources

Back