Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing a Ford Edge (instead of the Jeep)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I’m seriously considering selling the Jeep and using our 2016 Edge as my Toad. Basically I just want to down size and shedding a couple vehicles would help the budget and I never drive the Jeep unless I tow it somewhere with the coach. I know plenty of folks use an Edge as a toad so I’d like to hear what base plate and brake system they like best and why, especially from those who have tried more than one set up. I’m currently using an M&G brake system on the jeep and like the idea of staying with air actuated brakes.

My reservation about it, and the reason I bought the Jeep a couple years ago, is that its so involved and invasive setting up an Edge to tow, unless you drop it off at a shop and have it done, which I don’t see myself doing. No matter what, it looks like a lot of stuff has to come off the front of the Edge to install a base plate (I’ve read the instructions on E-trailer) but once done it would be a pretty nice toad, and a lot more pleasant to drive around than the Jeep although not so great off the pavement. The other choice is my 2017 F250 6.7 and since that weighs almost 7,000lbs I think it might be a bit of a burden behind an ISB powered coach. So….Comments?

Latest resources

Back