• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question VA Medical Benefits

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Had the hearing test yesterday at the VA clinic. As suspected she said I needed hearing aids. They weren't sure but thought the deductible would be either $50 or $100. They are tiny, rechargeable, and will work with blue-tooth through my iphone, should have them in a month.

Now to decide on filing a claim for partial disability. She questioned me on what job I had in the military, when I served, and where I served. We talked about not having ear protection on the range in basic and of course incidents in VN that contributed to early hearing loss. At the end of the exam though she summed it up by saying that "most" of my hearing loss was due to age (I'm turning 70 in 5 months).

I may contact the company Alan mentioned or try to file myself.

WHAT? (just kidding......since getting back from the appointment every time my wife says something to me I loudly blurt out "WHAT?")

Had the hearing test yesterday at the VA clinic. As suspected she said I needed hearing aids. They weren't sure but thought the deductible would be either $50 or $100. They are tiny, rechargeable, and will work with blue-tooth through my iphone, should have them in a month.

Now to decide on filing a claim for partial disability. She questioned me on what job I had in the military, when I served, and where I served. We talked about not having ear protection on the range in basic and of course incidents in VN that contributed to early hearing loss. At the end of the exam though she summed it up by saying that "most" of my hearing loss was due to age (I'm turning 70 in 5 months).

I may contact the company Alan mentioned or try to file myself.
Find a VA advocate in you area. Free they will file all paperwork
For you. Will pull your records if necessary. Received 5000 dollar hearing aids from VA plus 10 percent disability pay per month. Found out side audiologist to adjust them regularly no charge. Audible is a great company.

Getting my hearing aids turned out to be a battle. I had to drop everything the run up north for some family issues, which meant cancelling my original appointment for the hearing aids fitting. When I tried to reschedule they claimed no appointments were available until the end of June!

After three different phone call experiences and several transfers, which lead to dead ends, a different scheduling person finally called me last week. She secured an appointment for this Wednesday!

I'm learning that you just have to be patient with the VA. It might take them a little bit but someone will finally figure out what needs to be done.

I stopped by the VA and checked to see if I could get an ID card or something from them and the woman behind the glass said quite loudly (so that everyone in waiting area could clearly hear) "Mr ____ you're not eligible for any benefits." I saw that she was looking at the application I filled out in 2003. I told her that now I'm retired and on SSA. I asked to get a new application and when I looked through it, one of the areas was "Income". Here we go again.
I have come to the realization that it was definitely the years you served, instead of how long you served. If you served during Vietnam, you'll get some benefits - disabilities or not. I served '76-86 and there was no conflicts in those 10 years, so no benefits. Conflicts started right after I got out, so maybe some of you can get some benefits with no disabilities.

Not sure about serving during a conflict/war or not Rick. That could determine how they accept you into the program or it may just be a guide on what level they put you at once you are accepted.

What I do know is that if you apply online when you come to the "income" questions an extra box comes up advising you that you don't have to answer income questions.
Obviously you want to refuse to answer those questions.

I know several six figure income folks that are getting VA Health care.

I tried enrolling online today and when it asked if I had served during this to this timeframe (like Vietnam era or Irag, etc) I couldn't select any of the timeframes since I wasn't there. This was the first disqualifier. Then came the income - I chose "Do not report income" and the next box that showed up was "If you don't enter your income and you don't have any of the qualifiers, you can't receive benefits."
So, to repeat, it depends on when you served, if you can get benefits. Being able to select the Vietnam dates is what made you eligible.

Okay, like I said earlier I wasn't sure if the dates you served determined if they let you in or it simply determined at what level they would put you at.

Good to know.

I put my name in the hat for that service @Alan_Hepburn recommended. They were quick to respond, so we'll see how well they do at improving my rating with the VA. I have been wondering about this for years given the added complications I've been having as a result of my injuries. We shall see...

Latest resources

Back