• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question VA Medical Benefits

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For any of you that would have went through basic during the late 60's or early 70's, do you remember being issued any type of hearing protection while on the range or during live fire exercises? I certainly don't, nor were any offered to me during my whole time (70-73).

I worked thru the VFW service rep and they were more than helpful in getting my claim filed, and approved.

We were delayed in heading back toward our Florida winter site, but I'm hoping to get into a VA clinic for my ID card and first appointment sometime toward the middle of October. Even though I'm not sure I will need hearing aids I will ask for tests. I probably also need to switch my Legion membership to a local Florida one instead of keeping it where I used to live.

We were delayed in heading back toward our Florida winter site, but I'm hoping to get into a VA clinic for my ID card and first appointment sometime toward the middle of October. Even though I'm not sure I will need hearing aids I will ask for tests. I probably also need to switch my Legion membership to a local Florida one instead of keeping it where I used to live.
If you do need hearing aid, Costco has testing sites and great deal on the hearing aids. I’ve taken my mother there several times with positive results. Many have bluetooth technology where you can connect to your phone,tv, etc.

If you do need hearing aid, Costco has testing sites and great deal on the hearing aids. I’ve taken my mother there several times with positive results. Many have bluetooth technology where you can connect to your phone,tv, etc.
Thanks BGMAC, my 92 year old mother used Sams Club a couple years ago for a really nice set. My sis has taken her back a couple times for adjustments and there was zero charged. I wondered about Costco since that is where we maintain a membership.

I had a hearing test at the local V.A. I was then fitted and received my hearing aids in about 3 weeks. I can go back every 2/3 years and get a new set.

In the last few months I have received my VA healthcare card and completed my initial appointment. They scheduled me for my hearing test but they are so backed up it isn't until March, 2022.

I had lunch with an old buddy from my working days this week. He served 3 years in the Army back in the late 60's. He was not a VN vet nor did he have any type of disability from his service. His annual income is probably between 90,000 and 110,000 currently as a retiree. He showed me his VA medical card he has had since the early 2000's. He recently received a new pair of glasses for $50 from the VA, he gets all his scripts free, plus his hearing aids last year were almost free.

What gives? I thought you could only get medical benefits from the VA if you were on disability or your income was below a certain level?
Apparently, he knows how to work the system. Part of that "working" is not telling the truth. OR, he may not have been making that kind of money in the early 2000s and DID qualify. Once you're in, you're in for life.

Last edited:
Vietnam vet '65 - '68. In many states, the county in which you live have organizations within the county government structure to assist veterans at no charge. I found them to be very helpful. However, my experience with the administrative staff at the VA suggests they are models of inefficiency & very adept at telling you why they can't help you.
Just obtaining a Veteran's ID card was an exercise exponentially more frustrating than dealing with the state DMV. Too make matters worse, military records for many veterans were destroyed in a fire at Ft. Harrison in Indiana several years ago. In my case, several injuries incurred while on active duty (non-combat related) were not reflected on my medical record.
It takes persistence & filling out the correct forms to receive the benefits to which, you as a veteran, are entitled to, To the best of my knowledge, there are no limitations on your income restricting benefits to which you are entitled. The key being 'entitled'.
VA benefits for service members | Veterans Affairs This link would be a good place to start if you are a veteran to determine what benefits are available for veterans.

Here is some facts to consider. It is estimated that around 9.7% of our generation served in VM. There would be another 25% to 40% who ran around protesting the war. Most VN vets are deceased with still over 500 dying each day. If a VN vet who qualifies gets a few benefits then I don't care if his income is $15,000 a year or $200,000 a year. I assure you the vet with the larger income pays co-pays and other costs for his coverage.

Latest resources

Back