• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Van conversion Vs Large teardrop with Bath

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was hoping to get pros and cons of both scenarios....but it looks like I may have already found my answer. If Nucamp is really as good as everyone is saying, then the choice is obvious. The wisest choice would be to go with a quality product. Thanks for sharing.

I have learned over the years .... its better to buy "quality" the first time than buying cheap and having to replace it a couple of times to get what you originally wanted in the first place.

Now on to the Jeep. Had a AMC Jeep I pulled a bumper pull trailer with years ago. The Jeep had plenty of pulling power and did a good Job. BUT!!!! In that day passing gas stations was already a problem. I had at least 2 jerry cans on the bumper just so I could go a couple hundred miles while pulling the trailer(big deal in the west). Unlike trucks that you can order a 30+ gallon tank most SUVs are equipped with a tank that gives roughly 300 miles, not pulling a trailer. May I suggest a crew cab truck that will allow for crew and a large tank?

Trailer provide double the floor space, double the load capacity which includes fresh water and black and gray water, and can accommodate a shower. There are many areas where dry camping is allowed but the RV needs to be fully self-contained with its own holding tanks for waste. Trailers also provide the most roof area for installing solar panels and the most room for adding multiple house batteries.

I have seen many individuals happily camping with a small Burro type trailer towed by a small SUV or station wagon or mini-truck. They went at a more leisurely pace and enjoyed their time and did not mind not having their own shower. With the small interior space these are very easy to keep warm during the coldest weather.

Problems with camper vans is the limited interior space which is fine during warm weather when you can be outside but not good for year round living. There is also very little room for gear and so the sleeping area also needs to be made ready each night and gear stored somewhere out of the way. A better alternative is a heavy duty pickup with a cabover slide-in camper as the cabover sleeping area is not part of the main living area and so the galley and dinette area is available for use during the day. If you take your time you can find owners who are selling their camper with their truck and all the integration has been done for you. These campers will have at the least a wet bath so you can shower.

Latest resources

Back