• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Very disappointed in dog owners

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
One thing for sure. If irresponsible pet owners don't abide by the rules then more and more campgrounds will probably end up adopting more restrictive rules.

We have been in several places over the years where another camper will have 3 or 4 dogs with them. I suspect someone like that has a difficult time not violating some of the rules from time to time. If I owned a campground I would lean toward a pretty steep additional charge for anyone with more than one pet.

If I owned a campground I would lean toward a pretty steep additional charge for anyone with more than one pet.
The problem with that is they'll take the attitude that they're paying for it so you can pick it up.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is much we can do to prevent people from acting irresponsibly.

The problem with that is they'll take the attitude that they're paying for it so you can pick it up.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is much we can do to prevent people from acting irresponsibly.

This is one of those things where we have to police our own. Not everyone is comfortable with that, but that’s really the only answer IMO.

I got back from running errands and walked Elli and I'm looking to the island behind my coach across the street is a Rottweiler perched for the poop. The owner and dog then walk away so I take Elli over there to verify, and of course she has to poop anyways. Yep, evidence. I called the office and reported him and also asked to not get me targeted so they won't send the letter right away.

One campground I went to gave you a poop bag roll at check-in, pretty good message, and maybe even an attachment for your leash. In hindsight I now see why they did that. I haven't seen it this bad between the last CG and this one. Otherwise on par.

I think if fellow pet owners are encouraged to report violators that would help and letters would need to go out to violaters if reported. I remember being reported at an apartment complex long ago when I had two labs, as much as it infuriated me and I was trying to find alibi's, it was valid. It was the first time I had to pick up after my dogs as I always had fenced in yards and had to get beyond the disgust of it. Obviously it's not that bad but yeah, I was one of them back then new to apartment life.

I always walk my dog carrying one of these, use it to pick up after my dog and then empty the scoop in a bag back at the coach, which eventually will end up in the dumpster.
DOGIT Clean Jawz Waste Scooper - Chewy.com
I stayed at a CG where they had one of those inside the fenced dog park for owners to use - yup, someone stole it the next day. :poop:

I stayed at a CG where they had one of those inside the fenced dog park for owners to use - yup, someone stole it the next day. :poop:
I have one of those here at the house. I've stayed at Pensacola RV Park a couple of times and they have one too.

It also happens where I live right now - in a golf course development. Poop here and there! Makes residents put up NO POOP HERE signs. Simply bad and disrespective manners to not pick up your beloved animal's doings.

I am 100% for maintaining a clean and comfortable campground for everyone. I absolutely agree that dog owner’s need to pick up after their pets. I too fear that more and more campgrounds will eventually ban pets...plain and simple. I noticed that property owner’s at ownership resorts are so offended that they post signage all over their lots telling people not to let their pets go on their turf. A friend stayed at a resort that required pet owners to submit samples of their dogs poo to a DNA registry service. If pet poo was found, the campground would send it off for analysis and if they found a match, that pet owner would be fined.

However, there are a lot of people that were not conditioned to go haywire at the sight of dog poo. Nobody that I know of ever walked across a pasture picking up cow poo. It was acceptable that animals, not humans, go outside...and that the product biodegrades. It is even a food source for certain beetles, etc... I can see that there are people that feel it’s ridiculous to be collecting dog excrement in little plastic bags and transporting such to a land fill. To them it is a natural thing....and they don’t understand what all the hub bub is about. Of course, when they go to book a site next year, they may be unpleasantly surprised that the park no longer allows pets..or they are required to pay to register their dogs excrement with a DNA testing lab.

I am extremely disappointed and disturbed as to what I'm seeing at campgrounds lately. I've been traveling quite a bit the past 6 weeks and I'm seeing dog poo everywhere! People are NOT picking up after their dogs and as a dog owner myself I'm concerned that campgrounds may change their rules. I had a campground I just left that had very strict guidance on dogs in that we could only take them to a small area which was not close to my campsite so I actually left a day early. Ironically on the vacant campsite next to me, left side, is a picnic table in a gravel bed. All around that table area in the gravel was dog poo. I'm at a KOA now and as I walk Elli I'm seeing dog poo everywhere. Bad on the campground for not cleaning this up? Maybe. Horrendous that dog owners are not picking up their pet's poo.

People, stop this! Have some respect for others and the campground. Pick up after your pets! Please!
Before you know it, Campgrounds are going to forbid pets. Horrible behavior by pet owners!

Latest resources

Back