Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Virginia to Glacier - what stops should I make?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Giving myself 2-3 weeks to travel and enjoy the journey from the Richmond, VA area to Glacier around end of July to 1st of August. I don't have a route picked out yet hence my question to y'all as to what should I see along way between VA and Glacier?

Think shortest route would take you thru Chicago area which I would want to avoid at all cost. How about route north thru Michigan with a stop at Hearthside Grove in Petoskey? Then north of Lake Michigan before heading west again. I have not traveled the upper Midwest but will be doing it this summer. Sure others that have traveled the area before can help more than me.

How about route north thru Michigan with a stop at Hearthside Grove in Petoskey? Then north of Lake Michigan before heading west again.
Agree...Northern MI is beautiful, particularly Hearthside Grove! That might make a perfect halfway stopover point.

I have done the MI tour out the top to UP then left u-turn to the Oshkosh airshow. I have not stayed at HG yet. I also do not have to drive shortest distance between VA and Glacier so I'm open to any attractions suggested to see between the two locations within reason.

I have done the MI tour out the top to UP then left u-turn to the Oshkosh airshow. I have not stayed at HG yet. I also do not have to drive shortest distance between VA and Glacier so I'm open to any attractions suggested to see between the two locations within reason.
We really enjoyed Door County in Wisconsin a few years ago. Several very picturesque towns! It was a lovely area in general, lots of boating. Judy D

We really enjoyed Door County in Wisconsin a few years ago. Several very picturesque towns! It was a lovely area in general, lots of boating. Judy D
Agreed! No chain restaurants and not a single stop light in Door County. We were there last year for a week and going back this year for 16 days...

If you have not already experienced the Auen-Osborn campground in Sault Ste Marie, MI, I recommend spending a day or two on your adventure. You'll want a waterfront site.

Have to do some planning this weekend to make sure I don't hit any covid quarantine situations. I'm thinking of not taking the GPS / google maps suggested routing which takes me north via Chicago, etc. which obviously I don't want to go through but I think I'm going to head due west until through IL and then I'll vector NW towards Montana.

I think I may also long haul the first few days and get closer to the Dakotas and Montana and then stop and spend more time there vs. longer layovers enroute. It will be exhausting but I think the better things to see may be closer to the destination especially amid current events.

Open to suggestions but that's how the current mental plan is forming for now.

Open to suggestions but that's how the current mental plan is forming for now.
Well, if you do decide to reconsider Michigan, Hearthside Grove is wonderful and just biking in there is nice. A must is driving your toad through the Tunnel of Trees and go to Legs Inn for lunch. Dine in the garden and depending on the weather you will see 3 lighthouses. Check out the history of this place. Very interesting. It is named the "2nd Most Iconic Restaurant" in Michigan. Dang. Now I need to find out the First. Anyone know? Oh, and have dessert.. Polish Berry Szarlotka.

Then ferry to Mackinac Island. Drives to Harbor Springs and Charlevoix (to see the mushroom houses). And for me I like visiting all marinas, harbors. Check out Bay Harbor. Elli will love it. Pretty park, walk the concrete pier with crashing waves. I didn't have enough time to explore Traverse City. There are vineyards and a lighthouse there, so naturally I have to go one day.

Latest resources

Back