Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ChrisL

RVF Newbee
I have a toy hauler fifth wheel 50amp. Recently I noticed the voltage meter was fluctuating up and down from 12.6-14.3 after about a day at camp with full service hook up. When that happens I would turn off ice maker or one of the ac units and after a while it would be fine and read a normal 13.6 and stay there. The first day I had everything running both ac units we used microwave out side fridge is on Hot water tank etc. but it seemed to jump after I turned ice maker on. Never had a problem till recently.
What and why would that meter fluctuate.

While it is normal to have some fluctuation that seems a bit extreme for that period of time. On thing I did was added a separate small gauge that allows me to monitor both my house and chassis batteries separate from the main energy management system. I did this to be able to monitor both especially when boondocking. Because the green LEDs are quite bright I did add a switch so it does not have to be on all the time.

Attachments

• Battery Monitor.JPG
    Battery Monitor.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 6
I have a toy hauler fifth wheel 50amp. Recently I noticed the voltage meter was fluctuating up and down from 12.6-14.3 after about a day at camp with full service hook up. When that happens I would turn off ice maker or one of the ac units and after a while it would be fine and read a normal 13.6 and stay there. The first day I had everything running both ac units we used microwave out side fridge is on Hot water tank etc. but it seemed to jump after I turned ice maker on. Never had a problem till recently.
What and why would that meter fluctuate.
Think you're over thinking this!!!
Quite obvious to me,you have a converter with 3 stage charging. 14.4 is bulk charge. 12.67 is full battery charge no load.

You're plugged in so the converter is in play.

The AC is 115v, not 12vdc, so has nothing to do with battery voltage, and my guess is the ice maker is also 115v, so will not effect battery voltage.

I put this as long as I could, so you could see, I hope, that the converter is simply maintaining the battery, and testing state of charge...and that is normal!!!

NEW DATA!!!

did you notice that dip into the 10volt range???

Unload your 12 volt system.
Shut everything down use your multi meter and check your batteries.
Good batteries??? One by one put in the fuses in and find the load!

Just because battery voltage is good does not mean it will pass a load test!

Your converter is not the problem! My guess is the batteries will not pass a load test.

Latest resources

Back