Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

squeegee0

RVF Newbee
I am hooked up in RV park to city water. When I left for work this morning water had obviously been pouring out of the always open fresh water tank drain cock for some time. I have never used the water pump at any time since I have had the unit, I shut the valve and did not turn off the city water hose and water started coming out of the underbelly. Is there a problem with some kind of stop gap pump attachment that is being bypassed all of a sudden or what could be the problem? When I have city water connection made isn't it supposed to by pass the fresh water tank?

there should a valve somewhere near the tank to bypass the tank.

Should be a check valve to keep the city water from back filling the fresh water tank.

So I read into your post this is your full time RV! If so congrats on your choice!

That said, depending on level of RV there is a check valve, or they use the pumps check/oneway valves, to keep water from filling the fresh water tank.

I am accustomed to bypassing RV parts for real world parts. That means, in short, I install a ball valve in the plumbing on the pressure side of the pump. It is my standard procedure no matter if I'm off grid or not. Always done when I change out a pump!

I do the valve so everything is standard so I don't forget about the things I do for future troubleshooting!

So I read into your post this is your full time RV! If so congrats on your choice!

That said, depending on level of RV there is a check valve, or they use the pumps check/oneway valves, to keep water from filling the fresh water tank.

I am accustomed to bypassing RV parts for real world parts. That means, in short, I install a ball valve in the plumbing on the pressure side of the pump. It is my standard procedure no matter if I'm off grid or not. Always done when I change out a pump!

I do the valve so everything is standard so I don't forget about the things I do for future troubleshooting!

You are exactly right! I’ve been full time for 7 years now and I’ve lost count as to how many people I’ve met that had their fresh water tank overflowing with water. Most of them was due to the check valve in the water pump going bad. Like you said, there’s basically two ways to fix it. The easiest is to replace the water pump. Probably the best way is to re-plumb the water pump by putting in a manual by-pass.

Latest resources

Back