Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Evan

RVF Newbee
I have a 2014 Forest River 299BSS and started having water pump problems this year. May Long Weekend we lost water pressure so I checked the pump, it was hot. I shut the switch off, and a couple hours later it seemed to be working again. That weekend was more of the same. I put a new pump in and went out with it July long weekend, and it worked fine until the last day, when the same thing happened. Pump was hot and not working. I bypassed the canister filter but that didn’t help. There are no leaks, and it seems to be intermittent. The tank is under the floor and the bottom of the trailer is insulated so I can’t see in there. Any suggestions?

Might it be having difficulties sucking water out of the tank? I assume the pump also uses water flow as a cooling medium, and if it were cavitating, then it might just overheat.

That’s what I wondered, but I don’t know why it would start this year. I can’t see the tank but I wouldn’t think anything would be able to get in there to obstruct the suction hose. Unless there’s some opening in the tank I don’t know about. I always drain the tank when we’re done camping.

Sorry if this offends. Are your family members still practicing water conservation measures?
Is the head valve closing?
Is your floor wet?

No offence at all. We only use the water for washing dishes, washing hands and the toilet. Almost never shower in there and very rarely use more than half a tank when camping for the weekend. The floor isn’t wet and no leaks detected. Not sure what you mean by the head valve though? What is that?

Evan; The "head" is a naval term for the bathroom. I suspect he's asking about the flush valve, and whether it's completely closing, or possibly sloowwwly leaking water.

Additionally, on occasion, the pump gets "airlocked", and because of that pocket of air IN the impeller cavity, it can't seem to draw water to push out into the system. That doesn't seem to be the case, though, as yours will work for a bit, then come up short for awhile.

Curioser and curioser.........Roger

I have a 2014 Forest River 299BSS and started having water pump problems this year. May Long Weekend we lost water pressure so I checked the pump, it was hot. I shut the switch off, and a couple hours later it seemed to be working again. That weekend was more of the same. I put a new pump in and went out with it July long weekend, and it worked fine until the last day, when the same thing happened. Pump was hot and not working. I bypassed the canister filter but that didn’t help. There are no leaks, and it seems to be intermittent. The tank is under the floor and the bottom of the trailer is insulated so I can’t see in there. Any suggestions?
I would start by checking to make sure valves are fully opened. (These valve need to be fully opened) and functioning properly. Once that has been determine look at the pick up line and see if the connection is tight or the pickup in the tank is blocked another possibility is a whole in the pickup line which reduced or prevents the pump to pickup the water.

Evan; The "head" is a naval term for the bathroom. I suspect he's asking about the flush valve, and whether it's completely closing, or possibly sloowwwly leaking water.

Additionally, on occasion, the pump gets "airlocked", and because of that pocket of air IN the impeller cavity, it can't seem to draw water to push out into the system. That doesn't seem to be the case, though, as yours will work for a bit, then come up short for awhile.

Curioser and curioser.........Roger
But these are not impeller pumps, they are diaphragm pumps.
They can run dry for long times. My pumps(Yes two)are under the sofa with a loop of hose that touches the frame. I did that so I would feel the pumps running. If I was a few years younger I could hear them but!!! I'm not.
Point is, if there hot it means they are running. You have eliminated all but the head for leaks so we will move on.

If installed the strainer bowl may be loose so not drawing water.

Although you just put a new pump in, I personally have had terrible experience with the pressure switches built into the pump head.
16915878745426369885624452241353.jpg

My solution to that issue is in the picture above!
I have the pressure set higher than the standard switch! I also install a string of switches to turn the pump on or off at the sinks/head, in case of issues.

Latest resources

Back