Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
Several times now after I arrive somewhere and get the coach secured and level, I notice the domestic water pump running. I open a faucet and after a few seconds of passing some air, the lines pressure up and the pump stops running. I am wonder ing why that would happen. The tank is 1/2 full. I could see if the tank was near empty maybe but it would seem that there would have to be a pressure drop on the down stream side of the pump for it to run? Any ideas? I know I should probably just shut off the pump while under way or even sitting idle.

Odd…. But why leave it turned on while traveling? Does the problem happen if you don’t leave it on?

No reason to leave it on especially since turning it on and off is so convenient with switches all over the coach. I just have not given any thought to turning it off during preflight walk throughs. I consider it a win if I get the fridge doors locked every time!

I'm also in the camp that this is a preflight item to turn off the water pump while driving. I learned years ago from others that told me of a high end coach, maybe it was a King Aire that got flooded due to a line break while driving? I don't know...but it sounds like a pump prime issue, air in the line, and you may burn out the pump if it runs like that continually. Best to just turn it off IMHO when under way.

DW has always turned the pump off during pre-flight check

I once left the pump on and the wet bay shower on…had no water when I got to my destination…. So we make a point of turning it off.

We have always left the water pump on while traveling as we like the idea of the ice maker filling up the ice bin. Never had a problem. Maybe we will have to rethink that idea.
What water pump is installed in your coach? Sounds like you might have a pressure switch problem in your pump.

We have always left the water pump on while traveling as we like the idea of the ice maker filling up the ice bin.
I always turn the pump off and lift the ice maker bar the night before I travel. I don't want ice made from the tank water. If you decide to start turning the pump off and leave ice maker bar down, I've heard of people having issues with the water still in the line. I never had an issue with that though.

I don't want ice made from the tank water.
Why? The water has to come from either the tank or shore. Both go through the house filter plus the ice water also goes through the refrigerator filter.

I actually installed an Acuva water filter/purifier in the line leading the fridge...so my ice and drinking water are always OK... I figured that's where I drink all my water from anyway. Plus the ice is now covered as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back