RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
After 38000 miles all around the continental US with no real windshield damage, we were on our way for a Christmas trip up to Busch Gardens Tampa when somewhere around Sarasota I heard a rock hit the windshield. Then I noticed a small star mark in the center. 50 miles later, it looked like this. Sorry, it was raining at that point and the Magnashade was on, but it turned into a nice smiley face.
20191223_143542.jpg

Kind of like earning another "Merit Badge" in the Boy Scouts :)

You have been VERY lucky. Our first year in our Ventana we had our windshield cracked in northern Florida and our car's windshield cracked in SW Florida. This year we have faired better in our southern paradise.

Well, at least you won't be paying anything to get it fixed.

On another note, I was going to insist on factory glass, but not sure the insurance will cover it. Not really worried about the newmar logo at the bottom and I assume all these windshields are made by 2 or 3 companies. Does anyone have insight into the quality of "aftermarket" glass?

I had 2 replaced on our 2017 and requested OEM glass, Progressive Insurance covered and no problem.

Not a fun sight to see, I know the feeling. I am a lot more careful about driving behind trucks and other vehicles but I don't think it matters. Rocks come from nowhere, literally! I was driving my pickup in colorado and not another car in sight and whack something hit my mirror at high speed. Didn't break anything but where in the world did that come from??? Fortunately the MH windshield replacement was painless, insurance via Duncan (after National General) was painless, I went to Newmar as that's the closest to me that I trust, I know you have options locally to you that are reputable. Never hurts to ask for OEM but I have a feeling that's what you'd get anyways. Make sure your orange marker lights are holding their seal after the replacement, mine leaked water inside and I had to remove and replace the silicone. I guess the torquing required to get the windshield out is quite a bit of flexing on the front cap.

When I was in the collision repair business, many insurance companies dictated we use only aftermarket windshields because of costs and I assure you they are not the same quality either in fit or strength as OEM glass. I sold my business in 2008 so I'm not current but I doubt there are any aftermarket motorhome windshields manufactured. I just don't see where there would be enough demand to tool up and inventory windshields to make it profitable. I'm curious, can anyone confirm they've actually used an aftermarket windshield? I don't think it would necessarily have to have the Newmar name on it to be OEM quality.

Bummer.

On a side note, what does the other side of your Magne Shade look like? Just curious, I've seen some pretty trick graphics on some of them.

After 38000 miles all around the continental US with no real windshield damage, we were on our way for a Christmas trip up to Busch Gardens Tampa when somewhere around Sarasota I heard a rock hit the windshield. Then I noticed a small star mark in the center. 50 miles later, it looked like this. Sorry, it was raining at that point and the Magnashade was on, but it turned into a nice smiley face.View attachment 598
Sorry to hear that. I always wanted an A, and now that I have one on order, I wonder. Well I guess there are a lot of them out there. Hopefully this isn't as common as it sounds.

Bummer.

On a side note, what does the other side of your Magne Shade look like? Just curious, I've seen some pretty trick graphics on some of them.
Jim, ours is just the normal black with grey piping.

Latest resources

Back