RV Model
Ventana
RV Length
43'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Chevy Silverado on trailer
Fulltimer
No
Hello!! I'm Candy, a paraplegic (polio) for 70 years, use a wheelchair to get around, but I'm definitely NOT "wheelchair-BOUND!" :) Hubby Daryl and I just purchased our wheelchair-accessible 2018 Newmar Ventana 4311 and are planning our first trip with "Gertie" to Minnesota end of June. Sometime, I'll post some photos of the modifications that Newmar does for those of us on wheels---they're pretty cool!

But right now I'm going around in circles with Newmar and Braun about the Braun wheelchair lift that was installed. Although the lift is a beauty and works sooo quietly, Newmar in its wisdom had a COMMERCIAL lift installed. This means the lift's power switch and wired control are inaccessible to me when I'm in the coach---have to rely on hubby to operate controls to get me out! Sure hope there's never a fire! Well, shoot! didn't come here to gripe about that.

Would love to hear from other folks on here with mobility issues---it would be great if you could share what modifications your unit has or what you've done. Also, let's share stories about accessible campgrounds and sites to see! :)

There are options to installing a remote for the Braun lift. Braun sells a remote fir the lift that is available in Europe I believe

Thanks, Joe! I've downloaded the app to my phone and am calling Braun tomorrow. :)

My BIL and his wife traveled in a 40' DP for several years. He is in a chair being a double amputee (Viet Nam war veteran). Their coach was not built with a lift because Newmar didn't have your model out.

What I recall is their complaint about many campgrounds not having enough pavement. He found it hard to get around outside in his chair because of all the gravel and uneven lots.

Currently I am on the trip from hell. Everything that can go wrong has visited with me. Traveling alone makes all the more interesting.
But what I have found, people I’ve met along the way have been incredibly friendly and helpful.
Just had to figure out a solution and get it done.
Pulled into a KOA late after a wrong turn adventure, 8pm or so. Site had a nice platform that accommodated the wheelchair lift fine but no way off the platform to manage hookups.
Spoke with the property manager and before you know it a backhoe with a bucket of gravel shows up. He crafted a ramp for me in 30mins. This was for a one night stay!!.
People will help! All you need is a smile and a plan. ??

Last edited:
Joe, now that is a CG that goes above and beyond for a customer. Please post the name and location because I'll record it and throw some business their way when I can.

Spoke with the property manager and before you know it a backhoe with a bucket of gravel shows up. He crafted a ramp for me in 30mins. This was for a one night stay!!.
Awesome Joe!

Currently I am on the trip from hell. Everything that can go wrong has visited with me. Traveling alone makes all the more interesting.
But what I have found, people I’ve met along the way have been incredibly friendly and helpful.
Just had to figure out a solution and get it done.
Pulled into a KOA late after a wrong turn adventure, 8pm or so. Site had a nice platform that accommodated the wheelchair lift fine but no way off the platform to manage hookups.
People will help! All you need is a smile and a plan. ??
I agree with @FL-JOE , this park needs to be named. In fact--you have given me a good idea for a new thread.

Just a note, coming from the south on I77, the camp entrance is on the northbound i77 ramp up about 400’. Don’t follow the gps verbal commands or you will be on a dirt road adventure. Don’t ask how I know.

Statesville NC I77 KOA. Jim and his crew will take good care of you.
3398E18C-9EF7-40D2-A46F-477D3C624252.png

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back