Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What are the best Cellular data plans currently available???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’d agree with Neal but have just started using T-mobile. Technically band 66 should be superior with them, but that’ll only help if they have a tower!

Over the past several months, AT&T has pretty much destroyed the reseller market for data services. For whatever reason AT&T has effectively put a number of resellers out of business. It's not the fault of the resllers; it's AT&T that has caused the chaos.

My experience in AZ is Verizon has best coverage in the sticks.

If I use all 3 carriers and a second ATT line I’m at $130/mon
How is this possible? Are these mostly all old, cheap plans that are grandfathered? All the 3rd party plans I'm seeing on RV Mobil Internet are at least $100 and require you use their equipment.

Finding data plans with sufficient data allowances can be difficult, not to mention expensive. 3rd party resellers can be questionable. Buyer beware.
I believe it's generally accepted that Verizon has better coverage & AT&T is faster.
What type of cellular equipment are you using? A lot of good information can be found on the manufacturer's web site on what data plans work. Equipment not certified for use by the carrier on their plan can present issues. Sometimes there are work arounds & sometimes you get cancelled if you are caught in violation of the terms of service.
I use a grandfathered AT&T plan from a reseller I acquired in May, 2020. Availability is now questionable. Also have multiple SIMs (30gbs/mos) from Verizon on a grandfathered plan.
Not trying to discourage you, just trying to provide information.
Good luck in your search.

I'm currently paying ~$300/mo for "high limit" plans with all three major cellular carriers. That's my decision because I wanted to make sure I always have adequate data and download speed.

Finding data plans with sufficient data allowances can be difficult, not to mention expensive. 3rd party resellers can be questionable. Buyer beware.
I believe it's generally accepted that Verizon has better coverage & AT&T is faster.
What type of cellular equipment are you using? A lot of good information can be found on the manufacturer's web site on what data plans work. Equipment not certified for use by the carrier on their plan can present issues. Sometimes there are work arounds & sometimes you get cancelled if you are caught in violation of the terms of service.
I use a grandfathered AT&T plan from a reseller I acquired in May, 2020. Availability is now questionable. Also have multiple SIMs (30gbs/mos) from Verizon on a grandfathered plan.
I'm planning on Max Transit Cat 18. Peplink offers no information on plans that work other than pictures of the major carriers logos.

Currently only T Mobile even offers a sim for use in a mobile router. ATTs 100gb plan is for hotspot only and Verizon only offers a sim through Visible, whose ping rates appear too high for me. It strikes me as utterly bizarre that these mobile routers are sold with no support for how to get the absolutely necessary sims.

Thanks for your response.

Should have been a little more specific & stated Peplink forum. Other sites which may assist you in locating data plans are ltehacks.com, howardforums.com, Mobile Internet Resource Center has a list which is pretty complete, Mobile Must Have has an AT&T reseller they use if you buy equipment from them & I suspect there are others. I believe there are several members on this forum who use the same device you are considering acquiring, or other Peplink products, who have 'uncovered' ways to acquire sufficient data to use their products.
In defense of Peplink, I suspect most of their devices were developed for commercial markets which typically have dedicated IT support people. They are providing the same level of support on securing internet connectivity as a company like Arris, CISCO or NetGear provides you when you select one of their products for use in a permanent physical location. Essentially, you find what's available on you own. Probably don't like that answer, but, you either do it yourself or pay a systems integrator to do it for you.
Do you have any feel for how much data you will consume in a month & what you will do with it (as in transmit & receive over the internet)? Is it time sensitive, can it be compressed, does it need to be secure & those type of things? You may find your data needs are not as high as you think they are. Then again, you may find they are much higher than you anticipated.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I doubt my usage is more than 100gb per month, but I want to take advantage of the equipment that I have and therefore want a Verizon data plan in my router. I would use the T-Mobile most of the time, whenever I get coverage with them, and then use Verizon sparingly/for work. I prefer Verizon over ATT based on what I've read on forums and elsewhere, but even if I went with ATT through Mobile Must Have it's $349 upfront and $160 each month thereafter which is really expensive. I will check out those other websites you mentioned. I have been a member of Mobile Internet Resource Center and that's where I got the information on what sims are legit available in my previous post.

Latest resources

Back