Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is the best pellet smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I almost always overcook, even with the probe. I have a digital one I insert to inspect and always find out I screwed up. The food probe is good as stated above but my recommendation is UNDERCOOK, i.e. lead the temp and then inspect. For example we all hear of the magic 165 number but if you like steaks medium rare you probably want a max temp of around 130. You should consider catching the temp (actual) at or prior to that as you'll be consistent like me finding the temp overshooting at 160+ when you least expect it. You'll learn your grill/smoker, just be prepared for overcooks and stay on top of the actual temps and you'll see how it turns out. So with the included food probe which you can monitor and/or set alarms in the GMG app you'll want to set a point in which you inspect such as 30 deg early.

Meat will always continue to cook after it has been removed from the heat source. It is not uncommon to see a 5-10 degree internal temperature rise while the cooked meat is "resting." And, you should always let meat "rest" for at least 10 minutes (more in thicker cuts) to allow the natural juices to redistribute.

TJ

Last edited:
I almost always overcook, even with the probe. I have a digital one I insert to inspect and always find out I screwed up. The food probe is good as stated above but my recommendation is UNDERCOOK, i.e. lead the temp and then inspect. For example we all hear of the magic 165 number but if you like steaks medium rare you probably want a max temp of around 130. You should consider catching the temp (actual) at or prior to that as you'll be consistent like me finding the temp overshooting at 160+ when you least expect it. You'll learn your grill/smoker, just be prepared for overcooks and stay on top of the actual temps and you'll see how it turns out. So with the included food probe which you can monitor and/or set alarms in the GMG app you'll want to set a point in which you inspect such as 30 deg early.
Just to clarify the use of the digital probe attached to the smoker versus a separate digital probe....are you all saying that the attached probe(s) are not accurate and not necessarily believable and that is why you need the separate probe? Or are you using the separate probe just to double check your product which makes sense. Have you ever checked one against the other to see if the attached probes are truly accurate?

I’m not saying any probe is less accurate. As mentioned above it can depend on where the probe is placed. Stay ahead of the temps and learn your cook. Otherwise you’ll be like me overcooking more than not.

Just to clarify the use of the digital probe attached to the smoker versus a separate digital probe....are you all saying that the attached probe(s) are not accurate and not necessarily believable and that is why you need the separate probe? Or are you using the separate probe just to double check your product which makes sense. Have you ever checked one against the other to see if the attached probes are truly accurate?

Again, @Ericrowley18 and I have done a lot of testing on different grills; from the cheapest to the most expensive. NONE of them have probes that are as fast reacting and accurate as a Digital (and calibrated, too) INSTA-read handheld thermometer. That does NOT mean we are against using them. But, to stick a SINGLE built-in probe into a chunk of meat like a Brisket or Pork Shoulder, and expect to get perfect IT readings, it's not gonna happen. You should ALWAYS undershoot your IT when setting your grill!!! You also MUST be aware that a lot of the grills will CYCLE OFF, or 'PARK' on a low temp once they reach the IT set point. So, if you DO rely on that and don't come back to check your grill, you may find your grill is OFF or coasting at 180 for hours. Been there - done that.

So, while it’s great to use the built-in probe to get you in the "ballpark", it should not be a substitute for a Insta-read pen.

We have also used the highly useful, external, multi-probe unit made by FireBoard. This unit has 6 probes, all programmable with alerts that can be sent to your iPhone App anywhere you have a network connection.

But, in order to cook meat PERFECTLY EVERY time, a top-notch chef will make the very small investment of an Insta-Read thermapen.

Hope this clarifies things.

Once again, if you need some more expert help, you can always call the guys at theBBQHQ.com and they'll get you all you need for success.

Last edited:
When I cook steaks using the reverse sear method, I always remove the steaks from the pellet smoker at 110 ℉ for my wife and 115 ℉ for myself. Reverse sear for 2 minutes per side, let rest for 10 minutes and they always are a perfect rare and medium-rare. The reverse sear method will raise the temp some. As mentioned, the meat temperature will continue to rise even after taking off the grill and that is why resting is so important.

Our Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker was delivered today. We are just starting to read the directions! Since we have several experienced smoker experts on this forum, I would appreciate advice on which pellet brands, and wood varieties you use, and for which meats. I am also wondering if there are pellets that are decent for universal use. We have much to learn. Many Thanks, Judy D

CONGRATS! Great grill!

GMG GOLD is a very good pellet for everything.
GMG Texas has some bolder flavors for the beefs and shorter cooks.
The blends with fruitwoods like Apple and Cherry are popular with pork

Since the GMG burns so clean, different woods won’t have a lot of impact until you do a very long smoke. So don’t be surprised.

The type of pellet you should avoid AT ALL COSTS are the cheap “alder” wood pellets that are SPRAYED with flavor!!

If you need some great products, accessories, and pellets, don’t hesitate to give my friend a call at thebbqhq.com !!!! Tell @Ericrowley18 I sent you.

Our Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker was delivered today. We are just starting to read the directions! Since we have several experienced smoker experts on this forum, I would appreciate advice on which pellet brands, and wood varieties you use, and for which meats. I am also wondering if there are pellets that are decent for universal use. We have much to learn. Many Thanks, Judy D

Judy, I would have responded sooner but Jerry won't stop asking me about the recipe for my pineapple and mushroom pizza that is out of this world on the green mountain grill with the pizza oven! I'm not willing to give up my secrets! As to pellets, here is a guide I found:

Pellet_Guide_Detail.png

99% of the time I use Green Mountain Grill pellets. They are good quality. I have gotten some once from Home Depot, no problems there either. I'm lazy, I let Amazon deliver to me.

Texas blend is my favorite and go to for about anything:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCU34PK/?tag=rvf01-20

Premium Gold is good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062R46AA/?tag=rvf01-20

Apple I use with chicken:

Amazon.com : Green Mountain Grills Premium Apple 100% Pure Hardwood Grilling Cooking Pellets : Garden & Outdoor

I just finished dinner and had delicious kabobs marinated from the grocery store. 350 with 10 minutes a side. Soooo good! Congrats and can't wait to hear about the cooks. Back to Jerry's emails! He's at it again!

Latest resources

Back