Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is the best pellet smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Oh you'll be surprised. I don't use full heat. I fried (literally) my first pizza cook. You'll set the grill to around 300-400 which the pizza stone will probably get upwards of 700, who knows, it's crazy hot and you'll want a IR heat gun for this. You'll be pulling out the firebox and laying the pizza oven over the flame and it gets extremely hot!
Thanks soooo much for all the help!! We have the IR gun for our wood oven. We can get that to 800. I hope we can find a source that will deliver when we get back from our Glacier trip. We will probably not wait till Christmas. Judy

Thanks soooo much for all the help!! We have the IR gun for our wood oven. We can get that to 800. I hope we can find a source that will deliver when we get back from our Glacier trip. We will probably not wait till Christmas. Judy
We ordered the smoker today. It will be here when we return frim our trip. I am really looking forward to it.
BTW, Sportsman’s Warehouse has 28 lb bags of Green Mountain pellets for $14.99, and free shipping.

Congrats! We will wait until we return from Polson in mid-October to order ours. Or, if I think I can get the new pellet grill/smoker, in its box, in the back of the CR-V with the back seats folded down, I may get it delivered to Polson and save on the sales tax.

We're headed back to Montana on August 24th. Looking forward to seeing you there.

TJ

I've been watching this thread and I finally convinced DH that we need a pellet smoker. Our friends brought over some pulled pork they made on their Big Green Egg which made him agree. We had a Kamodo Joe which fell apart, literally, and we are down to our small Weber Q.

I have called every local store to purchase a Green Mountain Grill. They are all out of stock!! So is Amazon, which is why I was willing to drive 25-50 miles to purchase one. Green Mountain is not showing the ability to order on-line.

Finally, a local BBQ place (25 miles away) called me back and said they are getting some Davy Crocketts in the next few days and will hold one for me.

Never thought it would be so hard to find a smoker in the south!! ??

BTW, pineapple on pizza-big no, no! :sick:

@Tip&Tina,

GMG is very strict with Dealer territories, which is the reason why dealers can’t ship in most cases

As you can see on my good friend’s site, he can only sell them “in-store”.

I've been watching this thread and I finally convinced DH that we need a pellet smoker. Our friends brought over some pulled pork they made on their Big Green Egg which made him agree. We had a Kamodo Joe which fell apart, literally, and we are down to our small Weber Q.

I have called every local store to purchase a Green Mountain Grill. They are all out of stock!! So is Amazon, which is why I was willing to drive 25-50 miles to purchase one. Green Mountain is not showing the ability to order on-line.

Finally, a local BBQ place (25 miles away) called me back and said they are getting some Davy Crocketts in the next few days and will hold one for me.

Never thought it would be so hard to find a smoker in the south!! ??

BTW, pineapple on pizza-big no, no! :sick:
We found the same situation here in California. A local store that Green Mountan had on their site, ordered it for us, including all the accessories we wanted. For a reasonable fee, they are assembling the smoker, bringing it to the house, and carrying it up the stairs of our deck. The salesman said they are selling more of them since Covid started. Judy

I carry the Davey Crockett in the RV and use the Daniel Boone at the S&B. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is an instant-read thermometer which I think is a must.

I carry the Davey Crockett in the RV and use the Daniel Boone at the S&B. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is an instant-read thermometer which I think is a must.
Why, if you have two probes on the unit that are instant read? And using the probes you don’t have to open the smoker to check the temperature. I do have an instant read but what is your reasoning for use with a smoker with probes..unless you are using the rotisserie .

Why, if you have two probes on the unit that are instant read? And using the probes you don’t have to open the smoker to check the temperature. I do have an instant read but what is your reasoning for use with a smoker with probes..unless you are using the rotisserie .
Probes are fine for a "general" internal temp (IT). However, they can be grossly inaccurate in terms of where they are placed in the meat. And, they can be slower than an good Insta-read.

When you probe meat, it's critical that you know where to place the tip; as well as checking various sections. This is ESPECIALLY true with larger cuts.

Finally, probes are USELESS when it comes to multi-part cooks; such as chicken legs, breasts, thighs, etc. whereas you'll have dozens of different temps based on what part it is, as well as WHERE it sit on the grill. Every grill has it's hot and cold spots.

Therefore, an Insta-read temp is invaluable.

P.S. Stop worrying about lifting the lid. It doesn't matter; the grill will recover quickly. And, there are times when you'll be doing a Direct Flame at high heat with the lid open anyways.

What Steve & Janice said, J & JD.

Latest resources

Back