Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

When a dealer receives a bad product from the manufacturer...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Most luxury yacht manufacturers offer a 1-year stern to stern warranty and a 5 year structural warranty.

…back to RVs

So this morning in trying to sort this out I asked myself: "self: is this a home or a vehicle. I bought my home from a builder through a real-estate agent. Is a RV dealer an automotive type arrangement or are they acting as real-estate agents?" I don't know the answer to this. I know dealers will want to tell us it's the manufacturers onus, what does the manufacturer say? It may be worthwhile to ask that question someday, to various manufacturers.

@Neal...exactly. call newmar (or the mfg) and open a case. They will determine if they want a dealer to repair it, or if they want the factory.

If going to the factory, you are eligible for compensation for travel expenses both ways while under warranty.

Newmar has never questioned reimbursement of these fees when I have had to return to the factory. I even billed them for the airfare when I left the coach for 2 weeks and flew home.

While it's not what I'm asking in this thread that is good info. I had to return to the factory for reupholstery (warranty) and wondered if I should ask for reimbursement for the travel expenses. But that is off topic from this thread but a good nugget to take away from what you offered. Thanks.

Regarding Class A service, as we all know, these RVs are a collection of parts from various vendors/manufacturers. Depending on the issue, you might take it to a chassis manufacturer authorized service center (for drive train/chassis work), or to a RV Manufacturer certified repair center for other vendor parts issues.

I've had the Newmar Service Center, while in for warranty service, defer chassis issues to Ford for my Canyon Star F53 chassis issues or appliance issues to the various local manufacturer rep for service. While the issue may be under warranty or not, this appears to be the case.
Newmar covered all repairs when under warranty regardless of who performed the actual work, then settled up with the various vendors for warranty reimbursement.

Newmar repairs and services the "house" portion. The Newmar Factory Service Center, exists to service Newmar products and customers. (Tiffin Service Center for Tiffin customers).

This maybe a hold over from when these RV manufacturers were owned by proud families serving the RV industry.

The current publicly owned corporation model (owners of many brands) may attempt to change the old personal model, relying more on dealers to perform service or factory authorized repair centers.

Vertical integration of parts and pieces for a RV manufacturers just does not make much sense for most RVs unless you are talking Marathon, Prevost level Class A. At the multi million dollar coach might have a private label branded appliance set.

Regarding the tow behind market, I think the low barrier to entry on the tow behind manufacturing will take some time, if ever, to consolidate to a few players. There will always be some specialty market served by a small family owned manufacturer.

My$0.02...

I know dealers will want to tell us it's the manufacturers onus, what does the manufacturer say? It may be worthwhile to ask that question someday, to various manufacturers.

@Neal...exactly. call newmar (or the mfg) and open a case. They will determine if they want a dealer to repair it, or if they want the factory.

When I started looking at a MH I went through several processes. Budget being first, then Manufacture and then Dealer. I had been through a nightmare with a 5th wheel with both the dealer and Forest River. Which I vowed to never do again.
We had bought a RV from NIRVC several years before and had a very good experience with them on the service side, so naturally once I decided on a preference of a Newmar I contacted NIRVC.
The process was excellent, I bought a used DS which was in our budget which was in their GA store from pictures. When it got to Lewisville and had a very detailed PDI NIRVC took care of everything. So all in all it more than anything else, it was the dealer that swayed me.

I look at the RV from my experience with the several airplanes I was involved. Airplane manufactures are really assembling parts they have bought to have installed on the airframe they developed, RV manufacturers are doing the same. Newmar warranties the RV completely for 1 year but you have different warranty periods for the parts, ie Cummins, chassis etc.

My understanding is dealers preorder manufacturer slots but don’t have to pay for the product until it is delivered to them. I think dealers would be on the hook for the coach upon delivery but have the power to refuse acceptance however they choose to just push the sale thru. If you the buyer refused you could lose your deposit (based on contract language I have seen) and dealer would just sell to some other uninformed buyer.

Having said this I have always felt I am buying from the manufacturer (Newmar) not the dealer. I have only dealt with Newmar directly after I accepted delivery.

They don’t come to you and yes, but they worth about as half as much as a bad RV warranty.
Actually they do. My Son-in Law recently purchased a new 36’ twin hulled craft that had to be shipped from East Coast to the SF Bay Area. Most of the warranty work has been performed by people coming to where the boat is birthed. Not easy to get it done but at least some has been accomplished. He’s not real satisfied with the service but there’s not much he can do as it’s a bit tough to cruise it back to Florida.

Sorry, back off track……..sorry

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back