Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

When a dealer receives a bad product from the manufacturer...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
1641507508706.gif

Putting this thread back on track, let me ask. If you buy a Jeep, Chevrolet, Ford vehicle and have problems with it. Lots of problems. Do you go to the manufacturer or your dealer? Who is responsible for your purchase and who do you expect corrective action from?

I had a couple issues with my Class C and took it to the dealer, but they conned me and told me it wasn't under warranty when it was. I contacted the manufacturer and they just gave me the run around and referred me back to the dealer. I ended up paying out of pocket for the defect.

Putting this thread back on track, let me ask. If you buy a Jeep, Chevrolet, Ford vehicle and have problems with it. Lots of problems. Do you go to the manufacturer or your dealer? Who is responsible for your purchase and who do you expect corrective action from?
That’s a bad analogy. RVs are not cars. As bad as car dealerships are, an automotive like sales and service experience is still a dream we’re all waiting for. Brett is working on it.

The better analogy would be a 50’ yacht, because that’s what these things are. It’s not just a powertrain and seats. There’s plumbing, electrical, propane, residential-style furniture, generators, rooftop air conditioners.

So if you buy a 50’ yacht, and you have a lot of problems, do you take it to the dealer or manufacturer? I would wager it’s the manufacturer for severe or numerous problems. Just like an RV.

You have never owned a jeep, and it shows :)

Dealers for Jeep ( and all of Stellanis in general, but specifically CDJR) are notoriously bad at service. It is very common to get in contact with FCA corporate and open a case, and then get redirected to another dealer with a tech that has been certified by FCA. This process repeats itself until one decides it is not worth the hassle, and finds another shop to perform the work, thus forgoing the warranty.

I really wish FCA handled service as well as Newmar does.

That’s a bad analogy. RVs are not cars. As bad as car dealerships are, an automotive like sales and service experience is still a dream we’re all waiting for. Brett is working on it.

The better analogy would be a 50’ yacht, because that’s what these things are. It’s not just a powertrain and seats. There’s plumbing, electrical, propane, residential-style furniture, generators, rooftop air conditioners.

So if you buy a 50’ yacht, and you have a lot of problems, do you take it to the dealer or manufacturer? I would wager it’s the manufacturer for severe or numerous problems. Just like an RV.

Or does the MFG come to you? Do boats even have a warranty?

Or does the MFG come to you? Do boats even have a warranty?
They don’t come to you and yes, but they worth about as half as much as a bad RV warranty.

They don’t come to you and yes, but they worth about as half as much as a bad RV warranty.
What does one do with a modest 80ft boat in need of warranty repair?

Being in need of a f warranty repair doesn’t have to mean it’s no longer sea worthy, the same as it doesn’t meant an RV isn’t road worthy. You use it if you can, otherwise there are ways to safely move a non-sea worthy boat wherever it needs to go.

When we had a boat I don't remember there being much talk around the marina about warranty issues. I remember a lot of discussion around how to keep boat fully functional and esthetically pleasant while dealing with an adverse environment and heavy use. There where conversations around what boat yards where good with specific types of repairs or maintenance. Of course this was all pre-interweb days, so they were face to face conversations or cocktail hour discussions.
I was just having a conversations with someone recently about social media intensifying problem magnitude, and extending market memory of issues.
Just the times we live in I guess.

Latest resources

Back