Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
In another thread we are discussing the value of NIRVC's Rettrobands which lends to when will a RVer replace your tires? This is not limited to Class A Motorhome discussion as that's what I drive, this is for every RVer. When are you going to replace your tires? Any of the tires?

A rule of thumb I've heard for Class A's is around 7 years on the front "steer" tires. The next question is this from the DOT stamp on the tire or the actual time it started rotating on your coach? What am I going to do? I'm still undecided. I take great precaution with my tires from tire pressure being on the plus side of the charts by 10 or so PSI. I use a tire pressure monitor. I keep them covered (which I think is more on the gimmick side as sun damage would take years I believe and combined with non use). I will evaluate at 7 years and probably change them, this will be 7 years from the earliest DOT date on my steer tires, replacing in pairs.

My rear axles I will consider at the 10 year point. Again, I'll also combine this with a visual inspection and a touch of emotion. I have a lot of faith in Michelin so that weighs in as well.

What is your intention with tire replacement and again this is for all RVers. I'm curious if trailers have the same concerns as Class A owners. How about Class C?

I believe Michelin's recommendation is to have a qualified "inspection" at 6 years (from the date code) and annually from that point on, with mandatory replacement at 10 years even if no wear or other issues are found.

TJ

Last edited:
I have heard 5-7 years from the date on the tire.

Last 3 coaches I haven’t kept long enough for it to be a concern. I went almost 10 years on our Pace Arrow which I think was stretching it a little too long. I will probably replace around the 6-7 year mark. Damage caused by a tire blow out isn’t anything I want to experience even if I survive it without a heart attack.

I don't think you have to worry about a heart attack @NWIP, your copilot is of more concern :) She may do you in if a tire blowout occurs!

One of the advantages of the ventana is that all tires are the same. You can buy two new steers, and then keep rotating those back. Always having fresh steer tires is a good thing. Buying only two at a time is a good thing also!

I change them, all around, after the fifth year, no longer than 6. That is from the manufacture date.

Here are the basics according to Michelin When Do I Need New Tires? | Michelin
That's a good resource, @JoeHogan. Thanks for the link.

I think it is intended for passenger car tires by the descriptions and photos, however. I wonder if the recommendations differ for RV tires? I'll try to find the link to the Michelin RV tire care source I was referencing earlier with the 6-year inspection recommendation. That said, 5 years or 6 years, the tires need to be checked periodically. And, the 10-year replacement seems to be for all tires.

TJ

The referenced document is about tires in general and does reference automobile tires. The information is still valid for RV tires but not specific. The truck or RV specific information gets lots of excess information which can be difficult to digest easily. RV tire specific information, lots of good information, there are other Michelin documents like this one https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/RV_Tires_Brochure.pdf

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back