Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question When was the last time you exercised your GEN?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I found and uploaded the document I had for ME-ARC settings (v4) to the Resources area (must use browser, not viewable in Tapatalk)

The AGS settings are something that I typically keep disabled. The reason is that my RV is stored inside, and it would be disastrous to have the garage smoked by my generator.

When I am boondocking, I do use the AGS, with a combination of SOC (vs voltage) and quiet time settings, if applicable.

I recently started lowering my SOC, with my new setting being 40%.

When quiet time settings are used, you can have the generator run proactively for a few hours before the quiet time begins.

I do not have any solar, and only have the stock AGM batteries. This setup works well for me.

Another use of the auto start is to have the ac demand start the gen. When we are traveling, I use the generator in auto start, and set the thermostat for a comfortable setting.

This really reduces the generator usage. For example, when we leave our Texas home in June for Montana, we usually take 70 hours to make the journey. We will stop at a campground one night, but boon dock 2 nights. My 2013 did not have a setting to auto start based on thermostat demand, so I would start the generator and let it run until I arrived at the campground. This was 50+ hours of generator usage each way.

Last year we did the trip in our 2019 DSDP, and the generator only used 15hrs going up, and 18 on the way back.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

A garaged coach is another scenario that I can see would warrant turning off AGS, however, an idea came to mind. While at the Balloon Fiesta I saw quite a few coaches using dryer vent tubing to divert the gen exhaust out to the front away from the close neighbors. I could see a setup in a garage where you add a dryer vent and attach a dryer vent line from the gen exhaust to the dryer vent when parked. This would allow AGS to remain on such as a situation where a severe storm takes out power, a hurricane, etc. depending on your circumstances.

Yes, I too have been walking down the SOC as I use a step down approach in my setup with solar followed by shore power followed by gen.

Latest resources

Back