Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question When was the last time you exercised your GEN?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Okay, no cheating. How long ago did you last run your GEN or exercise your GEN?

Mine is running now as the pedestal breaker tripped. I reset the breaker but I want to make sure I get through this laundry and I need to exercise the gen. It's been 1-2 months since I last exercised it, I haven't been doing it every 30 days but it is in my crosscheck so I'm exercising it now.

Truth up....when is the last time you exercised your GEN???

I did mine about three weeks ago and it will be due again next week. My schedule is monthly, but occasionally I do slip a bit.

Interestingly, the new 22K whole-house generator we just had install at the sticks-and-bricks is programmed to exercise every two weeks (alternate Tuesdays at 10 am). It is due again tomorrow morning. Nice to have it programmable.

TJ

I think you can program it in the Magnum control panels but I don't.

I ran mine around the first of March, when we were boondocking in a Walmart parking lot...time to run it again. I shoot for monthly.

Typically at least once a month. Having an AGS is of no value if the GEN won't start:) AGS tries three times then stops after third attempt.

I was just saying this morning I should exercise mine, last was beginning of March. I shoot for once a month but sometimes it ends up being 6 weeks

Usually once a month except when the temps get down in the teens and single digits. So sometimes I may skip a month in the dead of winter. I do have the generator serviced yearly, rather than the suggested schedule by hours.

A little over a week ago when we were at North Trail to have the drivers seat footrest replaced. Before that, when my 300amp fuse blew.

Ooops! Okay, so it's been since mid January. Guess, I'll get on it tomorrow.

Try to run mine monthly. Last time was March 21st. I run it a minimum of 30-45 minutes. I start it, no load on it. Give it about 5-6 minutes to warm up, then gradually put it under load, until I have both heat pumps running, & if not winterized, turn on the water heater. Let it run under load for about 15-20 minutes, (if it's cold outside, let it run til the coach heats up); then will shut down heat pump, one at a time, and after that I let it run with no load for 3-5 minutes, then shut it down. When running it, there should be a load on it for a short period of time, to properly "exercise" it.
That's my generator exercise program!:)

Latest resources

Back