Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question When was the last time you exercised your GEN?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Last week. I make a point to start it fairly often even in storage (when I pull it out) so I know I can rely on it.

So, apparently, I exercised my generator this afternoon. :oops: Just went out to check something on the coach and the generator was running. The auto exercise function was disabled (though I now know where it is and how to set it) and the shore power had not been interrupted. The batteries were both at 13.6V With float charge on. I have no idea how long it had been running, the the max run-time was set to 240 minutes.

Anybody ever have this happen? Any thoughts on what's going on? My whole-house generator exercised at 10 am today; was the coach generator feeling left out?

I'm puzzled. Comments appreciated.

TJ

Last edited:
Following. I had no idea this was even possible.

Had it happen once in my Alpine. We were cruising down the highway and the genset fired up all by itself. AGS was off, coach alternator was fine, batteries full, no a/c running. Only did it once and never again. Gremlins I guess. Weird stuff??.

I get lazy while stationary in the winter. I try to run it about the middle of my stay. During the rest of the year I pretty much run it whenever we are on the road. If there is no real need for it on a travel day (no air needed or no heat needed) I'll at least crank it up on a lunch break for 30 minutes or so. I guess you could say it gets ran every week or two.

Following. I had no idea this was even possible.
Neither did I, Sheridan. Now, I have a case of the "jumpies" and every noise I hear makes me think it has auto-started again. I was just out in the coach and verified that the auto-start functions all show "Disabled" on the SilverLeaf panel.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi, did the generator running coincide with the whole-house generator running?

@TJ&LadyDi, did the generator running coincide with the whole-house generator running?
Possibly, Bill. The house generator ran a 5-minute exercise cycle at 10 am. I discovered the coach generator running at 1:30 pm. The coach generator max run time was set for 240 minutes. I hadn't been outside from 10 am to 1:30 pm, so don't know when the coach generator started, but if it fired up when the house generator did, it would have still been within the 240-minute mac ru-time window.

Do you think the two events could somehow be connected? When the house generator runs its exercise cycle, it doesn't activate the transfer switch, so no power interruption to the house (or coach plug-in).

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi Is there a way to manually exercise the home genset again to see if it does it again? It seems like there is some linkage somehow.

I was just taking a stab at maybe related. I’m not smart enough to be able to explain anything electrical. I know in aircraft strange things can happen due to relays (sensing type) with with extremely short millisecond settings, engineering later having to replace with even less reacting relays. Who knew that .0001 of a millisecond could make a difference.

When changing out ME-ARC on 2017 and resetting the programming I had AGS start generator even though it was disabled. Couldn’t ever figure out why it did start but settled down once I finished and never had it start unexpectedly again.

Latest resources

Back