• Friendliest RV community on the web

Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
Good morning everyone!
I've come to a conclusion, and please-by all means-feel free to express yours, or even correct me... I am new to the RV lifestyle, though I did boondock for about six-eight months in a small travel trailer while getting my masters in Escondido, CA.

Question:

Are there particular used RV models/years to avoid, or look for?
I'm thinking of a Class C. Something around 24 feet or so. I don't want a huge one, as I will likely eventually tow my old Land Cruiser with it, and I may boondock.
Since I have a regular job right now, I may boondock or I may stay at the nearby KOA. We have winter here in Show Low/Holbrook, AZ and it can get into singe digits sometimes, with snow.

I wouldn't mind an old RV if it is reliable and in good working order: the engine and transmission being, of course, primary concerns.
I've see old ones, even from the 80s that seem good, but I worry about rot, and a few with the plush carpets, etc seem to be kind of nasty. Vinyl floors are , in my opinion, the best.

So advice is appreciated.

In my opinion there are two components to a motorized RV. The chassis which is normally purchased by the RV mfg., and a custom built house.
You would first decide on a reliable and maintainable chassis brand then look for a mfg that builds durable house on that chassis.
once you make those decisions you can start looking in the market at those models that fit your criteria.
its a buyers market now so you should be able to get a good deal.

In my opinion there are two components to a motorized RV. The chassis which is normally purchased by the RV mfg., and a custom built house.
You would first decide on a reliable and maintainable chassis brand then look for a mfg that builds durable house on that chassis.
once you make those decisions you can start looking in the market at those models that fit your criteria.
its a buyers market now so you should be able to get a good deal.
Any suggestions on a reliable chassis to look for? I have no idea what to look for.

The Ford E450 V10 is a very reliable, common, standard chassis, eaily maintainable with good parts availability, probably for many years. I’d start there. And since you are looking at older coaches, you’ll know right away when you are looking at poorly made and well made houses. I’ve always been partial early 2000’s Winnebegos and Four Winds. They seem to be well made and durable.

You know the old joke about why you should get the heated license plate option on a Ford right?

Some would say on older class "c" motorhomes, look for a lazy days.

I would not get excited about any MH but that's me. Getting everything put down and ready to travel! Just to go to the store would wear thin really quickly. Check out the overall length of a MH pulling your truck, and ask yourself if size matters!

Check on price of the equipment to set up for towing, and see if that falls in line with your budget.

Ask yourself if the MH breaks down, where you'll live in the meantime.

Then ask yourself if you will still be towing!!!

The answers are, for those on a budget, and buying used. There are more liabilities than advantages!!! Be honest with yourself!
Look at a different truck, and price the complete package that meets your precived needs! Trailer parks are less expensive than places like KOAs. There are advantages to the house being in one location, so do your due diligence before you jump!!!

Oh yes! Look for home owners that have an RV hookup,you might be able to rent.

Kevin brought up a good point - KOA parks are always more expensive than local independent parks, sometimes significantly more and this would really add up for long term arrangements. Shop around for a place to set up that is more economical and less aimed at the tourist dollar.

A more basic point, to Kevin's point, if you plan to move regularly or often a motorized unit might make sense, However, if you plan to be parked for extended periods, a tow behind unit with a truck or Land Cruiser, makes more sense.
Set the Tow Behind, anything from a teardrop to a 5th Wheel, up once and use the truck for daily transportation.
This avoids having to breakdown camp every time you run for groceries or supplies.

A more basic point, to Kevin's point, if you plan to move regularly or often a motorized unit might make sense, However, if you plan to be parked for extended periods, a tow behind unit with a truck or Land Cruiser, makes more sense.
Set the Tow Behind, anything from a teardrop to a 5th Wheel, up once and use the truck for daily transportation.
This avoids having to breakdown camp every time you run for groceries or supplies.
also avoids issues of multiple insurance, registration, chassis maint, repairs, tires, batteries, etc

Latest resources

Back